We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hey! How's the skiing?

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
278 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hey! How's the skiing?

We are getting psyched for our April 1 ski trip. We plan to ski A-Basin, Breckinridge, and Keystone- in that order. It looks like all the terrain is open at all the mountains. We are hoping it stays that way for a couple more weeks.

Anyone ski lately?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,056 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hey! How's the skiing?

Not myself but friends report fun times. Heading to Vail this weekend then Keystone the next. Will report back then.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
278 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hey! How's the skiing?

Hey alli, do they usually keep the bowls open until the end. And the cat trips from Outback at Keystone?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,056 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hey! How's the skiing?

Hi Brumor, every year is different. I hesitate to even guess, but if I had to probably not. But I have been known to be wrong....

That said it should be awesome spring skiing!

Dillon, Colorado...
Level Contributor
23 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hey! How's the skiing?

Keystone is getting very dicey right now and I may only be there a few more days and then just stick to Abay and Breck. Low elevation, combined with lots of sun makes quick work of the snow and all the advanced terrain is starting to get a bit sketched out. If you are planning on just doing the groomed runs you will be fine, but definitely get there after the sun has been out for a bit at Keystone.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hey! How's the skiing?

My husband and son went to Keystone today, said the conditions were icy early in the day, mostly packed powder. Decent but not great conditions.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
278 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hey! How's the skiing?

It looks like Keystone is no longer reporting 100% open. Maybe 2 days at A-Basin would be better? We planned to ski Keystone, Breck, and A-Basin. And we still have 2 weeks to go.

Man, I was hoping conditions would hold up till we got there. I hope we didn't make a mistake going so late in the season...

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hey! How's the skiing?

this week is looking up. check out

http://www.snowforecast.com/KeystoneResort

nighttime lows need to stay low.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,056 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hey! How's the skiing?

Yeah, it is day by day, run by run. Skied Sat at Vail, some runs were skiing beautifully some pretty hard packed. Tried Beaver Creek Sunday and again is was pretty hard packed. The sun never really got going enough to soften things up. Had the sun come out in full force it would have been an awesome day! But we missed what I heard was great conditions on Friday....The coverage is still very, very good so I'd not worry. As luv2ski said snow is in the forecast and April is still a long, long way away.

Will be at Keystone this coming weekend...

Edited: 21 March 2011, 16:48
Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
366 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hey! How's the skiing?

April 1st is still a ways out. Too early to tell. I have skied Keystone on closing weekend for the past four years and every year has been great conditions (packed powder and even powder). What will be closed would be a lower elevation black diamond like Last Hoot and the Windows area. The full day cat serviced terrain like Independence Bowl will likely be closed too.

All three mountains will be open with access to almost all lift serviced terrain and most likley the North and South Bowl (accessed from the top of the Outback Lift) will be open too. They do a good job grooming all the way till the end. The crowds start to thin out too in April so you may have the whole mountain to yourself. I would still keep you ski day in Keystone.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
278 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hey! How's the skiing?

You guys just made my day! I love that forecast and I can't wait to be up there again. I REALLY hope the $5 cat ride bowls are still open when we get there.

I just booked my flight out, and the rates came down quite a bit since a high of $430 RT. We are now flying for $330.

So, I have flights and condo secured. The reason I am concerned with the snow conditions at Keystone is because I'd really like to buy the ski tickets online before we go. But if Keystone is not that great, I'd do 2 days at A-Basin (We have never skied A-Basin).

I guess I'll just keep an eye on things for another week or so and see how it goes. I'd love to hear what's happening in Keystone, especially if you are getting snow! Thanks!!!

Get answers to your questions about Keystone