We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our first trip to Keystone...snowmaking?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
61 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Our first trip to Keystone...snowmaking?

We will be on our way to Keystone on 12/14/12 for our first "out west" ski trip and have some obvious concerns about how few trails are open. I am reading the weather reports, and following the snow reports, but do not see much snow making going on despite the cold temps. Locally in PA, we rely on snowmaking so much that it would be blowing like crazy right now but its been too warm. Is anyone reading this who has first hand knowledge of snowmaking expectations at Keystone in the next 7 days and can school me on what is going on? I was really hoping to see more than 7% of the trails open.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our first trip to Keystone...snowmaking?

Keystone has extensive snow-making capabilities and has been blowing snow like mad. It is snowing now and more in the forecast.

I will be in Keystone later today and will report more Saturday.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
61 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our first trip to Keystone...snowmaking?

Thank you, Alli! I appreciate the info and will look forward to the update. Is snow making not included in your snow report there? I have been unable to find anything stating how much snow is being made or notice any changes in the base. Thanks again!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our first trip to Keystone...snowmaking?

No only natural snow is in the snow report. If my memory was better I could tell you how much they blow each night. I just learned it the other day but have since forgotten....

Last I heard, at Thanksgiving, was that they hoped to have North Peak open by the 14th so folks could get to the Outpost for lunch.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Our first trip to Keystone...snowmaking?

Keystone cams:

keystoneresort.com/explore-keystone/web-cams…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our first trip to Keystone...snowmaking?

Unfortunately this s a risk we all take for skiing this early. We too are going later in the month....I too have been following the snow reports. All of the runs that are open is because of snowmaking. I'm sure they are working hard on opening more terrain, it just takes time.

The forecast is getting better though!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our first trip to Keystone...snowmaking?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this but I was busy skiing!

I skied Sat before the snow, even then what was open was skiing beautifully. Then the snow Sat night saw today, Sunday, with 6 new on the front. It was lovely, just lovely skiing. I think you are going to have a great time! The runs that are open are big swoopy, wide tuns. For a first trip out west it is sure to be fun.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our first trip to Keystone...snowmaking?

This might be fun and get you in the Christmas Spirit

http://www.keystoneresort.com/eventdetail/Festival+of+Trees.axd?year=2012&month=12&eventview=calendarview

Festival of Trees

December 13, 2012 - December 16, 2012

We invite you to join us in the Third Annual Festival of Trees at Warren Station Center for the Arts at Keystone. Participating, decorating and contributing a tree will help raise funds for the local Summit Community Orchestra and the Summit School of Dance. The public is welcome to come and view the decorated trees and place their bids on the one they want to bring home. Final bids will be placed on the beautiful trees on Sunday, December 16th during intermission of The Nutcracker Suite & Holiday Concert evening performance. Winning bids will be announced at the close of the program. Please come out and support a great Summit County cause!

Location: Warren Station Center for the Arts - River Run Village

Schedule of Events:

Wednesday, Dec 12th 3:00pm - 7:00pm Decorating of the trees by Summit County businesses.

Thursday, Dec 13th 4:00pm – 6:00pm Viewing of the decorated trees. Bid placing.

Friday, Dec 14th 4:00pm – 6:00pm Viewing of the decorated trees. Bid placing.

Saturday, Dec 15th 5:00pm – 7:00pm Viewing of the decorated trees. Bid placing.

Sunday, Dec 16th 3:00pm and 6:30pm The Nutcracker Suite and Holiday Concerts.

Winners announced after the 6:30 show.

Final bids must be placed by intermission of The Nutcracker Suite and Holiday Concert evening performance (show starts at 6:30pm). Winners announced after the show.

Ticket Information:

Event is FREE to view the trees during viewing hours.

A ticket is required to attend the last day of bidding which takes place during the evening performance of The Nutcracker Suite & Holiday Concert on Sunday, December 16th at 6:30pm.

Donations to Summit Community Orchestra and the Summit School of Dance appreciated.

Presented by: Keystone Neighbourhood Co.

Beneficiary: Summit Community Orchestra and the Summit School of Dance

Parking: Free parking available in the River Run Parking Lot.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our first trip to Keystone...snowmaking?

Looks like they are right on target to open North Peak this Friday. It seems your timing is good after all.

My .02 hit North Peak first thing in the AM, when the lifts open, ski there for an hour or so then head back to Dercum. You should miss the crowds that way.

9. Re: Our first trip to Keystone...snowmaking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 03:15