We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time trip to CO. Need suggestions!

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First time trip to CO. Need suggestions!

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to plan a surprise trip to CO for by boyfriend and I. I would like to take him snowboarding and stay in the moutains. We are coming from Florida so I know there will be some adjusting to the altitude change. I have snowboarded once before in Cooper Spur, and he is familiar with snow, but has never snowboarded before, so I know lessons are in order.

I have been researching everything from where to stay and eat to lessons but I am still crazy confused. I'm hoping you all can give me some guidance.

I narrowed where I would like to stay to Keystone and I really like the Keystone Lodge and Spa. However, I was hoping to find someplace that had an in room fireplace. Are there resorts that offer in room fireplaces or would I have to find a condo or something? If so any other lodging suggestions? I would like to be within close proximity to everything (shops, restaurants, slopes, ski schools) and keep the price per night around $200. It's just the two of us in the room. A kitchen is not necessary.

Prospective travel dates would be to fly into Denver on 12/15 and drive to keystone that day and fly back to FL on 12\20. I would like to start lessons the next day (take the first day easy and adjust to the changes).

Also, does anyone have suggestions on lessons and rentals? I think at least two days of lessons for the each of us is a good starting point. Where to go? About how much does it cost? Etc.

What else is there to do on the mountain am during this time besides snowboard/ski?

I know I'm asking a lot, but keep in mind I'm from Florida! I have no idea where to start when planing a snow/mountain vacation. If anyone needs help planning a beach getaway, I'm your gal!

Thanks a lot!

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time trip to CO. Need suggestions!

If you want to be close to the lifts, then the Keystone Lodge & Spa would be out.

In Keystone- I would focus on staying in the River Run area. Thus, you would be looking at a condo.

Call some property management companies (www.summitcove.com & keystone property management are the 2 bigger ones) as well as look at vrbo.com, flipkey.com, homeaway.com

Look at places like

Arapahoe Lodge

Dakota

Jackpine & Black Bear

Silver Mill

Expedition Station

Red Hawk

You will have to check with the owners about fireplaces but many of them do have fireplaces (gas).

Matt

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,725 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time trip to CO. Need suggestions!

Agree with Matt, get a studio condo. As long as you leave on the 20th your budget is more than fine. There are tons of activities. Too soon to tell them all, but snow tubing is super fun. Rent some snowshoes and head off resort for a nice hike. Keystone has great signature dining options as well. Some of my favorite restaurants in the state are in Keystone

One thing I would say because you are beginners boarders/skiers take great care getting back to River Run should you stay there. The run back aptly named "River Run" run can be treacherous. You can get around it by taking Ina's Way to the bottom but you need to study the map. You might also look at some of the condos at the eastern side of Mountain House Base. The ski school out of Mountain House base is less chaotic and you can return via a green run Schoolmarm that is very easy to navigate and lift lines are nonexistent. You can still walk to RR for nighttime activities, though the best Apres Ski IMO is at the Last Lift Bar, providing the Swing Crew is playing.

Lodging is typically a bit less that at RR saving $$ for a special lunch at the Alpenglow Stube or a very memorable dinner at Ski Tip.

Check out Slopeside Condos, about as close to the lifts as you can get. It is an older property so make certain it has been updated. Many are represented by summitcove that Matt mentioned or at VRBO and Craigslist.

http://tinyurl.com/l7yadwc

or Key Condos closer to RR about a 5 min walk. Again an older property so you'd want to see pics of the unit. Something that to date Keystone can't do. I'd say this is true for most of the RR condos too. Lots have been in the rental program for many years and you'd want one that has been cared for as well.

http://tinyurl.com/ml5jrcm

keystoneresort.com/ski-and-snowboard/ski-and…

lesson information here.

Missouri
Level Contributor
165 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time trip to CO. Need suggestions!

We ski at Keystone annually and always rent a condo in River Run Village through VRBO.com. Walk to the lifts, nightly activity and restaurants just steps away.

Highly recommend renting through VRBO.com

Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time trip to CO. Need suggestions!

Wow! Thanks everyone. You have been quite helpful. I looked at all the places Matt suggested and found a few at Red Hawk and Arapahoe. I also found a beautiful condo at The Timbers, which from what I can gather is a little further off the main path than the other places, but still within walking distance. Is this correct?

Thanks Alli for the heads up on how old some of these properties are. I see what you mean. I think some of them haven't been updated since the '70s.

I have inquiries sent for all three of these places. Does anyone know if they are on the shuttle route? Or would I need to rent a car? Also, I am assuming there are places near by to grab some groceries and such, not just restaurants and bars?

Thanks again everyone!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,725 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time trip to CO. Need suggestions!

The Timbers is great, not in the plaza per se, but just steps away and right by the high speed quad.

There is a very limited grocery/liquor store in River Run, very limited and $$$. There is a better one a shuttle ride away at the traffic light/gas station, but still more of a convenience type store. If you want to stock up and cook meals you should rent a car. You can get to the grocery store on the county free bus but it is kind of a hassle if you are here for just a few days. It seemed that you didn't need a kitchen so I'd guess the one by the gas station/traffic light would work fine.

Yes a lot of the properties in good locations are old, they were built first so closer to the base areas, make sense? I'd rather have an updated unit in an older property with a good location than a "newer" one that has been in the rental program for a decade without any updates. It is why I recommend seeing a pic of the unit prior to booking. The exception is the Timbers and Lone Eagle they are newer, though not new. of the ones you are looking at the closest to a shuttle stop would be Red Hawk but I'd not let that be my decision making factor. It is a matter of yards. Be sure to ask about views, you don't want one facing the parking lot!

6. Re: First time trip to CO. Need suggestions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Keystone