We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving with Camper

Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Driving with Camper

We want to come out West again in September. Last year we drove across Wolfcreek Pass with just the car. This year we want to drive US 50 going west. That means going over Monarch Pass. This doesn't look much better. I have done my research with Mountain maps. Anyone have the experience taking a travel trailer over Monarch Pass? Ours is only 17 foot but I still remember "Wolfcreek Pass" !!!!

Acton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,585 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving with Camper

In September Monarch should not be bad at all!! Monarch is fairily mild compaired to many other passes. My company sends it's 30 foot trucks over it every other week , rain, snow, or shine. My family has taken their 32 foot southwind over Monarch more times than I can count.... I'd be wary if it was winter, but in September it should be beautiful... you may be there for the trees turning colors!

Oregon
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving with Camper

You have a bird's eye look at Monarch pass with the Colorado Department of Transportation's webcam:

cotrip.org/atis/web.ZoomboxMarshal…

Don't worry about it. If you use your transmission, keep the rpm's up going up the pass, and use the transmission (and engine) to hold you off the brakes on your way down, you won't have a problem with Monarch Pass.

Diane and I have rode our bicycles up and down that pass. Surely you won't have a problem driving your vehicle, towing a trailer. Just use common sense, take it easy on the engine on the way up, and the brakes on the way down.

And we've rode our bicycles over Wolf Creek Pass, too.

Have fun, enjoy the view!

Springfield, MO
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving with Camper

I pull a 25' toy hauler with a harley electra glide adding another 900 lbs to the load, I am driving a 2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab with a Hemi. I have pulled it up through Monarch Pass several times without any problems, its a slow climb and you won' t win any races, but you shouldn' t be running that fast anyway. Just kick back and injoy the scenery.

4. Re: Driving with Camper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Monarch