We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeep Rentals

Deer Park, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Jeep Rentals

Going to Ouray in mid-August for four days. We want to rent a jeep for a day and visit some old ghost towns and see beautiful mountain scenery. Can someone recommend a good, reputable jeep rental company in Ouray? And maybe a good route to see ghost towns and mountain scenery?

Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,893 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jeep Rentals

There are a number of posts on this forum about 4x4 trails and companies. Look through them. Also visit this link which will have tons more information... www.ouraycolorado.com/Jeeping

Have fun.

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jeep Rentals

Although driving yourself can be fun, I highly recommend that you go with one of their guided tours. (They drive, you look). You will get to spend more time taking in all of the scenery and you will not want to miss ANY of it. I've always gone with Switerland of America and their guides have been great! They often make stops or pull off and point out things that we would have otherwise missed. They will tell you the history of various points of interest as well as information about some of the pioneers that came to the area, what they encountered and the impact they had on the area. It can give you a real insight into the area.

Since you are unfamiliar with the area, this would also eliminate the concerns about routes and the obstacles that exist there. The mountains around Ouray can be very unforgiving.

Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Deer Park, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jeep Rentals

Thanks mtnlife, I will consider this option. We are just used to traveling on our own and stopping when we want and spending as much time as we want when we stop.

hudson valley,ny
Level Contributor
279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jeep Rentals

We went with San Jaun Jeep Tours... The 1/2 day afternoon tour. Our original plan was to do Red Mt 3 pass but because of weather we went to yankee boy basin.. I highly recommend them.. The owner Greg is great and our guide Keth was wonderful.. He stopped whenever someone wanted to take pictures. He made stops along the way so we could explore. It was suppose to be a 4 hr tour 1:30 to 5:30 but we were having so much fun we din't get back to town to 7PM....

We originally thought we would rent a jeep and explore ourselves. But listen to the advice of the locals to first try a tour and we are glad we did.... The jeep trails are steep and rocky and if you are not experienced it wouldn't be any fun for the driver!!! Heck Hwy 550 was hairy enough of a drive... Take a tour, so you can kick back and enjoy the incredible views...... Enjoy your trip..

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jeep Rentals

The previous post is correct, the guides are very accommodating and willing to stop at every scenic opportunity. I never felt rushed during the stops and I believe you will see more with the guide because they know whre the spots are that you might miss.

And remember, if your guide does a great job, give him a nice tip! That was a practice I was unfamiliar with my first visit and didn't carry any cash with me. I later went back to the office and put the tip in an envelope with our guides name on it.

phx
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jeep Rentals

My family and I just got back for Ouray Co. and the weather there is pretty bad. They had a couple of mud slides on the Teluride side of the mountians that closed Imogene and Black bear trails. If you do not have experience with off roading I would suggest a guided tour. Any of the rental companys in Ouray are good and they all have the new 4 door jeeps.

Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
las vegas, nv
Level Contributor
20 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jeep Rentals

I would definitely recommend a guided jeep tour, especially if this is your first visit to the area - and to jeeping. Last year we did the Black Bear and Imogene passes all day tour - it was a long day and we were exhausted by the end of it, but it was fantastic! We used Switzerland of America, and were highly recommended by the B&B owners of Black Bear Inn. Our tour guide has done specifically the Black Bear/Imogene tour for the last 15 years, and he was great! You'll miss alot if you do it on your own. Considering that these passes recently had a bad mudslide you may have to do another tour, although this one did have about 5 ghost towns to see. But I have heard that Yankee Basin also has alot of ghost towns to see.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
70 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jeep Rentals

We were in Ouray last summer and rented jeeps from a place called Ouray Adventures. We loved driving our own Jeep and would not have considered a tour. Yes we were tired but it was the most beautiful adventurous day we had on our vacation. If you are comfortable with a "stick" and are adventurous I say go for it. You only go like 10-15 mph on most roads so you aren't going to miss anything. There are lots of guides and maps you can take along which explain everything.

Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Deer Park, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jeep Rentals

I read each reply to my question (thanks everybody) and we researched jeep companies in the Ouray area, weighed our options, wants, and price too. Us flatlanders from TX decided to be adventureous...we rented our own jeep (an automatic transmission) from Switzerland of America and it was FANTASTIC!! I bought a guide to the areas we wanted to see and we stuck to the moderate rated jeep roads. My husband drove and he did a really good job being his first time to drive a jeep on four-wheel roads. He is not afraid of heights, had nerves of steel and was very carefull. The weather was blue skies and warm, a great day for four wheeling. We stopped when we wanted to and hung out for awhile in several beautiful areas with our cooler full of water and food and had a blast! The scenery was jawdropping awesome! We did Yankee Boy Basin and parts of the Alpine Loop. The SOA folks were very nice and efficient in getting us through the process of renting (which is more involved than renting a car) and pointers on driving four-wheel roads. Maybe when we come back to Ouray we will consider a guided tour on the more difficult rated four-wheel roads.

Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Yankee Boy Basin
Yankee Boy Basin
369 Reviews
Ouray, CO
Alpine Loop
Alpine Loop
50 Reviews
Colorado
las vegas, nv
Level Contributor
20 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jeep Rentals

On the higher rated trails, such as Black Bear, the rental companies won't rent out jeeps to be taken out on these trails. When we did Black Bear last year, on a tour, one of the couples with us said they've done Black Bear on their own several times, but they always enjoyed doing a tour and having someone do all the work/driving.

Glad to hear you had a good time!