We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Jeep tour for a half day?

Which Ouray hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
65 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Which Jeep tour for a half day?

We are traveling to Ouray one June 12-15. We'd like to do a half day tour...which one?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,027 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Jeep tour for a half day?

You'll need to check with the tour companies to see which roads are open and which tours are being offered during the time you're there.

Switzerland of America Jeep Rentals has a "current trail conditions" page on their website, www.soajeep.com

I checked it, and they expect Yankee Boy Basin to be open mid to late May, and Engineer, Cinnamon, and Animas Forks to be open early to mid June.

My personal favorite is Yankee Boy Basin, DH prefers Engineer.

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Jeep tour for a half day?

This year the snow seems to be melting earlier and the gate into Yankee Boy is opened but they have not completed plowing yet. Within the next couple of days, Yankee Boy will be available. You can always call the Chamber... 970.325.4746 and ask for the latest conditions by trail.

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Jeep tour for a half day?

Yankee Boy Basin has been opened for the season. In Ouray (www.OurayColorado.com) there are three major jeep tour companies. San Juan Scenic Jeep Tours, Switzerland of America Jeep Tours and Colorado West. You can find their contact info at the above website. Most people find the tour into Yankee Boy Basin to be fantastic. It is a great ride without being too taxing. You start in the town of Ouray and the drivers make many photo stops along the way and provide people with the history of the area. June will be a little early for peak wild flowers but the basins should be beautiful.

A recent article was written in the Travel Section of the Tampa Bay Tribune. You can find the link to the article at …blogspot.com/2009/05/great-article-from-tam…

Read into the article a bit and there are about 4-5 paragraphs on a jeep tour experience.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
65 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Jeep tour for a half day?

Thanks for the great information. I'm looking forward to seeing Yankee Boy Basin, may have to return some day in late July to see the best wildflowers! The article was excellent!

california
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Jeep tour for a half day?

I love your story. I also love taking jeeps especially rough roads. It's just an extreme adventure.

<a href="https://hawaiitours.com/kauai-jeep.php">kauai jeep tours</a>

california
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Jeep tour for a half day?

[url=http://explorearizonatours.com/grandcanyon.php]grand canyon tours[/url]

7. Re: Which Jeep tour for a half day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 07:20