We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Jeep/ATV Tour

Which Ouray hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Jeep/ATV Tour

My husband and I will be making the loop of the San Juan Skyway and we are staying in Ouray for two days in mid September.

Does anyone have suggestions as to the best options for a half-day AT or /jeep tour in or out of Ouray or surrounding area? We would be interested in doing it with a guide or without. Thanks!

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Jeep/ATV Tour

I've posted a long TR on the "Road Trips" forum, with a long section on our excellent jeep tour (guided) in Ouray--1/2 day. The post is titled something like TR: Southwest--and it's one of the most recent posts on that forum. If you read it and have any questions not convered in my post, let me know. It was a great tour.

texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Jeep/ATV Tour

VCV - thanks. I'll definitely check it out!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,116 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Jeep/ATV Tour

Here's the link for vcv's trip report for future searchers:

tripadvisor.com/…27841980

Yankee Boy Basin is my favorite half day trip, but it is always a good idea to talk to the tour company to see what their recommendations are for that particular day. If you are not very experienced mountain/4WD drivers, I would recommend taking at least one guided jeep tour.

texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Jeep/ATV Tour

MissP...thanks for the recommendation. We are definitely planning to do a half-day guided tour.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
84 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Jeep/ATV Tour

In addition to the in town Ouray jeep tour companies, the Ouray KOA campground, located just a few miles north of town has rental jeeps, and had one or two tour guides available for those who dont have experience or who want some history of the mines and basins. If you want a spectacular trip and have a day for mountian trails and pictures, you will want to do the "Imogene Trail" that travels from Ouray through Yankee Boy basin up and over and down into Telluride. From there you have options of paved state hiway back over the Dallas Divide and into Ridgeway, then back to Ouray, or you could have them take Ophir Pass back up to Red Mountain and then return via the "Million Dollar" hiway, US 550 back into Ouray. Leaving early with jackets means you summit before possible afternoon thunderstorms! I was a tour guide there for several years before moving back to Denver, and I still have a special place in my heart for the area!

texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Jeep/ATV Tour

Thanks a lot. We are counting the days.

7. Re: Suggestions for Jeep/ATV Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2011, 05:18