We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ridgway to ouray

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
309 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
ridgway to ouray

We're driving from Montrose to Telluride then onto Mesa Verdi from there.

Is it worth it to detour to Ouray? Is it different from Ridgway?

Also how is the road from Ridgway to Ouray? My husband saw a program on the 'million dollar highway' and wants no part of that kid 0f road. I know the road from Ouray to Durango is a nail biter and we're not going that way but how is the road to Ouray (from Ridgway).

From what I've read here we shouldn't have any problem on route 145 thru Telluride and down to the NP.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ridgway to ouray

Ouray is less than 20 minutes from Ridgway and you do NOT want to miss it. Surrounded by mountains, this beautiful llttle Victorian town is known as the "Switzerland of America" and is a gem. Ridgway and Ouray are completely different. The road between them is fine.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,168 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ridgway to ouray

Ouray is totally different from Ridgway. Ridgway is in a "foothill" area and Ouray is in a mountain canyon. Well worth the detour. Mountain scenery is Ouray is also very different from that in Telluride.

The Million Dollar Hwy is between Ouray and Silverton, not between Ridgway and Ouray.

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ridgway to ouray

I did see the show you were talking about and they definitely made it seem as though 550 was bad the whole way. Ridgway to Ouray is NO BIG DEAL. You are driving most of the way along a beautiful valley. ... about 2 miles north of Ouray you really start to climb. You won't want to miss Ouray either. Very picturesque...

Level Contributor
281 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ridgway to ouray

My family camped for 5 nights in Ridgeway a few years ago and ended up driving down the road to Ouray at least 3 times because we just couldn't get enough of the hot springs (big pool- serves as the local swimming pool, also has smaller hot soaking pool). The box canyon water falls is well worth the visit, too.

5. Re: ridgway to ouray

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Ouray