We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Ouray

Which Ouray hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Ouray

Hi Everybody,

My fiance and I are getting married the first weekend in October and will be spending our honeymoon in Ouray. Instead of flying directly into Montrose we found it would be cheaper to fly in to Denver and drive the 6 hours to Ouray (plus we have friends in Denver).

I have never actually been to Ouray, but my fiance's grandparents have had a cabin there for quite some time. As the date for our trip (October 8th - 11th) approaches I have started looking in to rental cars and such and began to wonder if weather will be an issue. Can anyone give any advice on if we will hit any type of bad weather (snow?) driving from Denver to Ouray?

We had also planned on spending a day/night at the Mesa Verde National Park - I've read wonderful things about the drive from Ouray to the park, is that another drive we may struggle with (conditions wise)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,792 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Ouray

Of course, you can never count on Mother Nature, but as a general rule snow/ice should not really be a problem at that time. In the high mountains (Ouray, Telluride) you may get a stray snow shower, but they rarely amount to much of anything. You will see snow that stays on the peaks tho, even when it melts in town. If the weather turns out to be an issue, you could take the "easier route" to Ouray, that does not include the Million Dollar Hwy.

Be sure to take a day to drive over and see Telluride as well. The drive from Ouray to Telluride passes thru Ridgway (where parts of the original John Wayne version of True Grit was filmed. Dallas Divide between Ridgway and Telluride has fantastic views and frequently some good wildlife sightings. In Telluride the free gondola offers some great views also. There is a wonderful small museum that focuses on the history of the area, from the native americans all the way to the present.

www.visittelluride.com

www.telluridemuseum.org

2. Re: Honeymoon in Ouray

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 04:17