We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Traveler, where to stay in Ouray?

Which Ouray hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Solo Traveler, where to stay in Ouray?

I am a female, traveling alone and plan to spend 3 days and nights in Ouray around the end of June, 2014. I am most interested in hiking and seeing the natural beauty of the area. I would appreciate a friendly, family-like atmosphere and am considering a bed and breakfast, rather than a hotel. However, I am not interested in huge breakfasts, just good, friendly conversation. Does anyone have a suggestion? Are there rooms to rent? I plan to hike, go out to eat, and sleep.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,164 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Traveler, where to stay in Ouray?

I think staying at a B&B would be a great idea for a solo visitor. I haven't stayed at one in Ouray as we usually are there for day trips, but I have seen them and have often thought it would make a nice getaway. So...if I were going to choose one, I'd look at the Trip Advisor recent reviews,usually giving a little more weight to reviewers who have posted several reviews and forums posts. I also try to glean information that is important to me. Sometimes a reviewer will give a thumbs down for a reason that is unimportant to me.

So, looking at the Trip Advisor B&B/Inn listings, eliminate the Riverside Inn & Cabins and the Antlers. They are hotels. The St Elmo Hotel is a historic small inn that offers breakfast and an afternoon wine and cheese social hour, so I'd include it as more of a b&b than a hotel. Next I'd look at the websites and reviews of several of the B&Bs.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g33581-c2-Ouray_Color…

I notice that the Black Bear Manor gets top billing and they have breakfast plus a daily wine and beer reception, which might be very nice for friendly conversation purposes. They don't accommodate children under 16, nor do they allow pets. They are not air conditioned, however, so you'd have to decide if that is important. Most of the time you don't need air conditioning in Ouray, especially in the evenings and mornings, but there are times it can get a little warmer than some people might prefer.

The China Clipper Inn is a lovely newer building built to fit in with its Victorian neighbors, and it is air conditioned. Great reviews!

And then to the Secret Garden and Spangler House, etc.

I would recommend you eliminate the Columbus House B&B from your search as it is above the Silver Nugget Café, which is NOT well reviewed and I can personally attest to a pretty awful meal a couple of summers ago.

I wish I could give you a personal recommendation! Maybe one of these days I'll be able to talk the DH into a B&B stay instead of camping or driving home! And maybe you'll hear from others to help narrow your search.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,294 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Traveler, where to stay in Ouray?

If you love Christmas a B&B that always catches my eye is the Christmas House B&B on the south side of town. The whole place from front porch to the back yard is done in the Christmas theme. I have friends who always go to the St. Elmo B&B every year for the anniversary so it must be good.

I would say that you can also stay at the hotels in Ouray with ease, there are many that are small, family owned ones that are very nice. I have stayed solo at the Ouray Victorian Inn and it's been very nice. The owners live there and take good care of visitors. The Ouray Hotel is really unique, right over some shops and a very Victorian hotel. And if you can get a room at the Beaumont Hotel, get it. It's a gorgeous old Victorian that has been brought back to life after being terribly neglected by the former owner. Absolutely stunning.

Ouray is such a small town, easy to walk around and get to things. I hope you take some great memories away.

Edited: 10 February 2014, 17:02
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,164 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Traveler, where to stay in Ouray?

Good point, SusieLou. There are quite a few hotels that would be perfectly fine, but might lack some of the "conversation around the breakfast table" element that would be nice for a solo visitor. However, some of them might also offer some kind of afternoon/evening refreshment or reception in their common areas, and many offer some kind of breakfast.

I've always thought it would be fun to stay at the Christmas House, too!

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,294 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Traveler, where to stay in Ouray?

I always think of B&Bs as romantic get a ways in Ouray and so never quite feel like it would be ok for me to intrude on that romantic time over breakfast. Plus if you want to get out and hike you may not want to wait around for the breakfast seating. The Ouray Victorian Inn breakfast room is cozy and the tables close enough that you meet those nearby and if you are outgoing you will have the chance to visit with many folks. I've even used the room for snacks/dinner since they have a microwave oven there. It has a big playground, outdoor seating and big natural springs hot tub so there's always folks to visit with, imho.

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Traveler, where to stay in Ouray?

I live here and would recommend either the St Elmo or China Clipper for B and Bs.

KCK
Level Contributor
864 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Traveler, where to stay in Ouray?

The Beaumont would work. They do have a light breakfast, cereals, hard boiled eggs, pastry, coffee, fruit, etc.

I guess where you stay would depend on how social you want to be.

7. Re: Solo Traveler, where to stay in Ouray?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 07:16