We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Pagosa Springs - which airport to arrive

Sugar Hill, Georgia
Level Contributor
83 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Pagosa Springs - which airport to arrive

We are staying for a week in June in Pagosa Springs and debating which airport to fly into. Durango is the closest, but no direct flights there from Atlanta, same story with Santa Fe. There are direct flights from ATL to Albuquerque, and its about 215 miles from there to Pagosa Springs. Certainly wouldn't mind flying into New Mexico and seeing some scenery along the way to Pagosa Springs, but if its too long and complicated, maybe Durango would be best. Any recommendations on which airport and what the drive would be like would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,355 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Pagosa Springs - which airport to arrive

The trip from Albuquerque to Pagosa is fairly easy. No big mountain passes. Plus you can stop and see Santa Fe on the way. This would be a 4 hour or so drive. Take I25 to Santa Fe, then north on US285 to Espanola, take US84 to Chama and continue on to Pagosa. In Chama is the Cumbres Toltec Train.

Durango is only 1 hour from Pagosa, an easy drive. You could spend a day in Durango too.

Sugar Hill, Georgia
Level Contributor
83 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Pagosa Springs - which airport to arrive

Thanks so much! We are really leaning toward flying into Albuquerque, since we have Delta skymiles we can use - a free ticket is very appealing! Plus it gives us a chance to see some scenery along the way to Pagosa. Would love to stop in Santa Fe. Any ideas on what to do for about an hour or so? Again, thanks so much for your quick response.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,563 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Pagosa Springs - which airport to arrive

Wow, an hour or two in Santa Fe? Any chance you could add an extra night to your trip? If not, one of the things I remember most about my first trip to Santa Fe is the Loretto Chapel. I read the TA posts just now and most of the visitors agree with me that it is a very special place.

You could also just drive downtown to the Plaza and walk around a bit, or visit a couple of the many art galleries.

Sugar Hill, Georgia
Level Contributor
83 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Pagosa Springs - which airport to arrive

Wish we could add an extra night, but no way. However, second best option, on our way to Pagosa Springs we can spend a couple hours in Santa Fe and then the following Sat., on the way back to Albuquerque, spend another couple hrs in Santa Fe. Would definitely love to go to the Loretta Chapel. Thanks for mentioning it.

xxkellykinsxx
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Pagosa Springs - which airport to arrive

I live in ABQ and own a condo in Pagosa, so I make the trip often. It's about a 2 1/2-3 hour drive, and it's very, very easy. You take one freeway, and turn onto another freeway and you're there. Leaving to Pagosa tonight! :)

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,563 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Pagosa Springs - which airport to arrive

kellykins, last I knew there was no freeway into Pagosa Springs, Colorado and it takes about 4 hours or so to get there from Albuquerque. If you make that 215 miles through northern NM in 2 1/2 hours, you must be flying low!

7. Re: Getting to Pagosa Springs - which airport to arrive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 05:28