We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our week in PS: Should we spend the night in Telluride???

Which Pagosa Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver/NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Our week in PS: Should we spend the night in Telluride???

In addition to wondering about Shortcuts from PS to Dolores, Durango, and Telluride to shorten the drive- time, I was wondering your thoughts on adding the expense of spending the night in Telluride ( Mountain Lodge is $80 plus tax)

We already paid for the Condo in PS 5/9 - 5/16 , and 1 Night ( 2 days ) in Dolores at the Dunton Hot Springs.

We can't add any vacation days to the itinerary, but now thinking it may make sense to stay overnight in Telluride, going from PS - Dolores-Telluride- Durango- PS. vs spending $3 p/gallon to return to PS from either Dolores or Telluride.

Does that makes sense, or just return to PS each night with the 1 night Dolores exception?

What do you think?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our week in PS: Should we spend the night in Telluride???

You can make your loop from Dolores-Telluride- Ouray-Durango-PS in a day. I would overnite in Ouray over Telluride, if you wanted to spend more time on this loop.

The drive between Durango and PS is not bad, even at night.

A day trip to Creede will be nice as well. There is some nice, varied hiking around PS and Durango.

A day trip to Mesa Verde will be a long day, but well worth it.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our week in PS: Should we spend the night in Telluride???

If you are going to drive the rest of the San Juan Skyway loop, driving on from Dolores--and if you don't want to drive it in one day-- I'd stop in Telluride and explore a bit and then drive on further to Ridgway and then spend the afternoon and evening in Ouray. Maybe enjoy the hot springs there, and then you can compare Ouray and Pagosa.

Denver/NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our week in PS: Should we spend the night in Telluride???

Thanks for the info --

We're reversing things a bit -- going from PS to Telluride/Ouray area, and either staying the night and on to Dolores Hot Springs, which is still a 2 hour drive since the pass isn't yet open, or driving back to PS then on to DHS in the AM.

Yes, we're still up in the air

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our week in PS: Should we spend the night in Telluride???

Were you planning to spend the night at Dunton Hot Springs or were you just going for the spa? I'm not clear on that.

I would not go all the way back to Pagosa from Telluride and then drive back to Dunton. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Denver/NY
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our week in PS: Should we spend the night in Telluride???

We're spending the night at Dunton -- planning on a Noon Check-In 5/13; 3pm Check-Out 5/14, so that takes care of 2 full days with the 3 hr drive ( except to possibly a stop for dinner and drinks).

We check out of the Condo on 5/16, so not sure if it makes sense to spend 5/14 in Telluride -- probably makes more sense, if we do another over-night, is to spend 5/12 in Telluride ( or Ouray as another suggested), then onto to Dunton, then back to PS for the remainder of the trip.

Hope that clears it up for you --

I've planned dozens of trips, somehow this is the most complicated --probably because I'm so unfamiliar with the area, and the roads I planned to travel on are still closed. making everything farther away.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,792 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our week in PS: Should we spend the night in Telluride???

Curious - which roads are closed?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our week in PS: Should we spend the night in Telluride???

me, too! if you were thinking about unpaved 4 wheel drive roads, they may be shorter in miles but longer in time anyway.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,792 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Our week in PS: Should we spend the night in Telluride???

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Ophir Pass road, but that is not anywhere near Delores.

9. Re: Our week in PS: Should we spend the night in Telluride???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2010, 06:47