We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Pagosa need help!

Which Pagosa Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Pagosa need help!

My husband and I are planning our first trip up to the mountains from Dallas. We are very fortunate that are friends who have a cabin up Pagosa Springs have offered us their summer cabin to stay. Being from Texas we hardly ever get to see fall colors so we thought this would be a great opportunity.

We are going to be there first week of October and need some help planning. We will be spending 3 nights 4 days. We are looking forward to spending a quiet and peaceful time and just relax. Would love to hear suggestions from the experts. This is the first time we will leave our 3 year old with my mom so you may call it our romantic vacation

We would love to eat, watch nature,spend some quality time together. Not sure if my husband would be up for a hike but if there are some easy ones I may convince him. We are in our early 30s.

Hope to get some good info

Thanks

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Pagosa need help!

I've not been to this but it sounds interesting - a wildlife park made up of non-releasable animals.

rmwildlifepark.org/html/wildlifetours.html

The fall colors are changing now in the area, don't know if by Oct. they will still be around but the area has some wonderful scenic drives.

visitpagosasprings.com/things-to-do/activiti…

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Pagosa need help!

This may go without saying, but the Hot Springs.

http://www.pagosahotsprings.com/

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Pagosa need help!

Oh, gosh. I did overlook the obvious. Thanks dogmama. I'm all bummed out about the snow (we only got rain). We didn't get much spring and now I'm afraid we won't get much fall. Our local City Mkt. had the nerve to put out the snow shovels the other day. Grrrr. I'm not ready to pack away my hiking boots and get out the coats yet.

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
409 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Pagosa need help!

A few links to help with planning:

www.visitpagosasprings.com

www.facebook.com/visitpagosasprings

The wildlife park is great - especially with kids (go at the 2pm feeding time, if you decide to go). They have a grizzly bear, black bears, mountain lions, elk, porcupine, wolves and much more. It is run by a former Division of Wildlife official, so the animals are very well cared for. It is great for kids - you may want to save it for your next visit with your 3 year old.

Of course, the hot springs are fabulous. There are 3 downtown facilities:

- Springs Resort & Spa has 23 soaking pools along the San Juan River (and recently deemed the deepest hot springs in the world by Guinness Book of World Records)

- Healing Waters Resort & Spa has a large pool for swimming (usually around 106), saunas and other smaller tubs

- Overlook Mineral Springs features rooftop tubs with a view of the Continental Divide / San Juan Mountains

Other activities (besides hot springs) in early October - horseback riding, hiking, biking, scenic drives,hot air balloon ride, 18-hole disc golf course in downtown and a 27-hole golf course or canoeing on a mtn lake (one of my favorites in the fall)...

One great, short hike for amazing fall colors is Opal Lake. Most of the hike is through a huge Aspen grove - so the colors are incredible, if times right.

Also, take a drive up Wolf Creek Pass...check out Treasure Falls, Lobo Overlook, the West Fork Valley Overlook, Continental Divide. Another great drive is Piedra Road to Williams Creek Reservoir. Amazing vistas, wildlife spotting and lots of trails (Piedra River trail is flat and beautiful, follows along Piedra River).

The mountains have begun to get snow...one of my favorites is snow foliage - color in lower elevations surrounded with snow-covered peaks.

Do you know the general area where the cabin is located? I can point you towards scenic drives / hikes that would be in closer proximity.

Hope that helps...please let me know if you have any other questions! Have a great visit!!

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Pagosa need help!

PagosaSprings, have any of the trees started to turn color yet? I'm hoping to make it to Pagosa this year for my color drive - never have done that particular part of the state in the fall. You gave some great ideas that I'm going to include in my plans.

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
409 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Pagosa need help!

Hi SusieLou - yes, the leaves have just begun to change. The cooler weather this week will likely move things along a bit quicker - snow in the mountains and rain in town.

7. Re: First trip to Pagosa need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 18:17