We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities and Restaurants - Late May Pagosa Trip

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Activities and Restaurants - Late May Pagosa Trip

Hi,

My wife and I will be spending next week in Pagosa Springs and I was hoping to get some last minute suggestions on activities and restaurants in the area. We'll be using Pagosa as a base of operations and will be visiting many of the sites suggested in this forum.

We'll be flying in and out of Albuquerque and plan to spend a day or two there and in Santa Fe so any recommendations on places to eat/see in those cities would be great too!

Here's a list of options that I have so far:

Albuquerque

- Sandia Peak Tram

- Any good restaurants? local favorites?

Santa Fe

- St. Francis Cathedral

Pagosa Springs and Surrounding Areas

- Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train

- Mesa Verde

- Great Sand Dunes National Park

- Various Hiking (Opal Lake, Quartz Lake, Piedra River)?

- Chimney Rock

- Maybe one of horseback riding / rafting / ATV, offroading

So that's the list I have so far, is there anything else that would be great to see?

I'm not very familiar with the hiking trails, are there any other good ones that are easy-moderate with great views/vistas? We'll probably only have time for one or two. As far as restaurants go, are there any recommendations for great local favorites that are reasonably priced?

We're from Florida and don't get to see this type of scenery on a regular basis so we want to make the most out of this trip! Thanks so much for offering your suggestions!

Josh

Tampa, FL

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,212 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities and Restaurants - Late May Pagosa Trip

If you are going to take the Durango train ride (highly recommended), you should check into their adventure packages for the best use of time. Many people recommend taking the train one way and the bus the other, but you can combine your train trip with several activities in basically the same amount of time that it takes to ride the train both ways. There's a train/horseback package, a train/jeep tour package (one I recommend because it will take you even higher into the mountains and to Animas Forks ghost town), a mountain bike package, etc.

Definitely take a day to go to Mesa Verde, as well.

If you have the time, you might want to drive to South Fork and then north on the Silver Thread Scenic Byway as far as Creede or Lake City.

Look in the New Mexico forums for great suggestions on local favorites there, but I always enjoyed the Loretto Chapel. And of course you'll want to visit the Plaza. One thing on my to-do-someday list is to eat at the restaurant at the La Fonda Hotel and Fuego at La Posada. The Rancho de Chimayo is always recommended. Casa Azul, one of the Santa Fe DEs says her favorite setting is the courtyard at La Casa Sena but I see that the food gets mixed reviews.

http://www.lorettochapel.com/

http://www.ranchodechimayo.com/index.htm

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60958-i228-k53184…

http://www.ranchodechimayo.com/index.htm

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities and Restaurants - Late May Pagosa Trip

Thanks for the quick and detailed response MisspWestSlope_CO!

The idea to combine the train with one of the other activities is great, the train/horseback and train/jeep sound fantastic! I'll certainly check into those.

The drive to Creede via the Silver Thread Scenic Byway looks gorgeous. Would that be an out-and-back or is there a loop we could take? Also, is there anything to do in Creede? It looks to be an old mining town?

Also, we will have access to a 4x4 vehicle, is there anything off-the-beaten-path that's worth seeing? Will mountain roads be closed to snow at this time of year?

I'll definitely skim through the NM forum. Thanks for getting me started on some restaurants, we're keen to try some of the local flavor!

Thanks again! I'm just trying to compile a list of options then I'll prioritize and try to cram in as much as possible!

Best Regards,

Josh

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
413 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities and Restaurants - Late May Pagosa Trip

Hi Josh!

Welcome to Pagosa (next week)! A few other activities in Pagosa - the hot springs are fabulous, of course! Whitewater rafting is great right now, too (fun class III through town). Check out a 1/2 day trip with Pagosa Outside.

As far as hiking, Opal Lake (off of Hwy 84) and Piedra River (off Piedra Road / Forest Service Rd 400) are great right now. Also, check out Fourmile Falls (3 miles out and back, moderate hike to incredible falls with great views along way). At the same parking as Fourmile, Anderson trail also has incredible views within 1st mile or so. Two additional short and easy trails are Piedra Falls and Treasure Falls. Quartz Lake is likely still too snow covered as the trail reaches higher elevations.

On Reservoir Hill in downtown Pagosa, there is an 18-hole disc golf course and lots of trails for hiking and biking. Great views of the Continental Divide from the top.

Lots of ideas of things to do at www.visitpagosasprings.com and another new page features some lists with the Best of Pagosa: visitpagosasprings.com/campaign/bestofpagosa…

The trip to Creede is an out an back. Downtown Creede is cute, with a few shops (I love the olive oil shop). I am not sure what will be open in May; I took my Mother in Law the week of Thanksgiving and nothing was open. Made for a quick trip! I would assume they are working closer to summer hours. If the Bachelor Mining Loop is open, it is worth a drive. They are filming parts of the upcoming Lone Ranger movie (Disney) in Creede, so you will the see the area on the big screen next summer.

Spend time on Wolf Creek Pass - stop at Treasure Falls, West Fork Valley Overlook, Continental Divide, drive out Park Creek Road, explore Big Meadow Reservoir, etc. I saw a moose on the east side of the pass along the river last week.

Drive down East Fork Road - great places to fish along the road, great views and overall nice drive.

Most area forest service roads are open, however a few are still closed. The updated list: fs.usda.gov/detail/sanjuan/alerts-notices/…

Stop by the forest service office (at 2nd street) when you are in town, sometimes roads will open before they've had a chance to update the site.

For restaurants in Pagosa - Kip's Grille, Alley House (fine dining), Farrago's and Pagosa Bakery are great (all located downtown). Also, uptown, check out Pagosa Brewery, Plaza Grille, Nello's and DSP Pizza. There are plenty of other really good options, if you need more.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
200 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities and Restaurants - Late May Pagosa Trip

If you like hot springs, you may want to check out the ones in Pagosa Springs - the pools are really kind of pretty. You can buy day passes last time I checked, so you don't need to stay at the resort. If you need a day with some down time, this could be fun :)

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities and Restaurants - Late May Pagosa Trip

Big thanks PagosaSprings!

With the suggestions from you and MisspWestSlope_CO we'll have enough to keep us occupied all summer!! I certainly hope everyone in Colorado is as kind and helpful as you guys - it would be a nice change of pace from sunny FL!

Best Regards,

Josh

6. Re: Activities and Restaurants - Late May Pagosa Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 00:42
Adelaide, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities and Restaurants - Late May Pagosa Trip

I'd also suggest you make the Pagosa Springs visitors centre your first stop, they were super helpful and gave us some advice on some nice drives and hiling trails. The countryside around Pagosa Springs is superb.

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Activities and Restaurants - Late May Pagosa Trip

Thanks again everyone for all the great suggestions! We arrived on Saturday and have had a great time so far. The Piedra Falls and Silver Falls trails were awesome; fantastic views.! We have reservations to go on the Durango and Silverton train tomorrow and can't wait.

Dinner at Kipps was very good with a great atmosphere. Looking forward to the rest of the week!

Hoping the fires die down some.

Best,

Josh

9. Re: Activities and Restaurants - Late May Pagosa Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 10:17