We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need itenerary for the Pagosa Springs area

Which Pagosa Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need itenerary for the Pagosa Springs area

We are going to be at Pagosa Springs Fairfield Resort at Colorado Springs for 1 week next August. Will fly into Colorado Springs. Would like to spend 2 weeks in the area. The week that we are not at the resort, I would like to visit the Royal Gough, Sand Dunes NP, Mesa Verde, and drive down to Santa Fe. Any suggestions of itenerary is welcome. What is the best route to cover all these places without backtacking. Can we drive from Durango to Silverton by car? How long is the return journey. Don't want to spend a lot of money on the train ride as we have 5 in the family. How about the Royal Gough, what is the best way of seeing it?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Need itenerary for the Pagosa Springs area

You can definitely raft the Animas in Durango. Been there, done that, loved that, want to do it again.

Canyon de Chelly was also a good addition. I remember that as one of my all time great awe-inspiring natural scenic moments, along with the Grand Canyon, the Na Pali Cliffs of Kauai, the Haleakala crater in Maui, Mt. St. Helens, and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado (although I was only a kid when I saw that).

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need itenerary for the Pagosa Springs area

Santa Fe also has a fun railroad ride to Lamy. It runs on Biodeisel so it's not as smokey as the Durango or Chama rides and I think it's more affordable.

pagosa springs...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Need itenerary for the Pagosa Springs area

Durango does have some great river trips. I live in Pagosa Springs so if you have any question specific to this area I'd love to step in.

Now, for the Silverton trip...we do that trip sometimes for a quick dinner elsewhere. We really enjoy staying in the Grand Imperial hotel after dinner and then heading back to Pagosa the next day...but as you asked the road is in great shape and always maintained (snow) but it's winding.

The one after Silverton to Ouray is even MORE winding and up there but it's soooo beautiful to take at least the Silverton way.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Need itenerary for the Pagosa Springs area

Since you have Gallup in the plan, be sure to get there in time to shop. 95% of the Native American art in the U.S. goes through Gallup. It is THE place to buy; you'll save a great deal over Santa Fe and Albuquerque.

15. Re: Need itenerary for the Pagosa Springs area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 07:18