We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salida Vacation 7/10-7/26 - Questions

OK
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Salida Vacation 7/10-7/26 - Questions

My husband and I, (early 50s, decent conditioning), will be vacationing in the Salida area in early July.

We will be going on a float trip - maybe a rafting trip if I'm feeling adventursome after the float trip. :)

We would like to drive over to The Black Canyon of the Gunnison while we're there. Could someone give me an estimate of the time required to drive from Salida to Curecanti National Recreation Area? Specifically to the parking area for the Morrow Point Boat Tour?

Any recommendations for easy to moderate hikes? I prefer hiking along a river/stream but that's not a requirement. I think we would be limited more by elevation change if it required climbing (up steps, rocks, etc - a steady incline should be okay) than by distance.

We are also interested in some laid back local nightlife. Any recommendations for a local establishment with classic rock n roll live music? Possible dance floor and/or a shuffle board table?

Thanks for your help. We are looking forward to a very relaxing vacation!

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
653 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salida Vacation 7/10-7/26 - Questions

The drive time from Salida to the Morrow Point parking is around 2 hours. If you are going on the boat tour, be sure to allow 30 - 45 minutes to descend to the floor of the canyon and then walk about 1/2 mile to the actual boat launch point. And reservations are required -- no "walk ins" are allowed.

It's a really fun, beautiful boat ride, well worth the time.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,212 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salida Vacation 7/10-7/26 - Questions

To make a day of it, after the boat tour, to best see the depths of the Canyon and the rock formations and cliff walls, we prefer the south rim drive of the Natl Park which is accessed just east of Montrose, less than an hour's drive from Morrow Point. You can spend a couple of hours there and see a good sample of the canyon from short walks to cliff-hanging overlooks. The Park Service website has suggested viewpoints for those with limited time. You can also drive down the East Portal Road to the bottom of the beginning of the canyon below the dam. There are also a couple of easy to moderate hikes at the Canyon South Rim...I'd choose the Warner Point trail.

www.gunnisoncrestedbutte.com/boat-tour-photos

http://www.nps.gov/blca/index.htm

Edited: 29 June 2010, 16:54
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,212 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salida Vacation 7/10-7/26 - Questions

I enjoy the Colorado Guy website, with photos and descriptions of his hikes and adventures: http://coloradoguy.com/

We haven't done much hiking in the Salida area but there are several good visitor information websites. One hike that I can recommend as spectacularly beautiful is the trail to Agnes Vaille Falls. It is short, only a half mile, and part of it is steep and rocky, but I have a bum knee and I made it just fine this last time...just took it slowly. There's even a couple of benches along the way to stop and rest and enjoy the scenery.

OK
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Salida Vacation 7/10-7/26 - Questions

Thanks for the heads up on the 'hiking' time required to actually get to the boat launch site for the Morrow Point trip.

Agnes Vaille Falls looks like it will be a good hike for us. I'll check out some other ones on the Colorado Guy site.

I'm about three months post-hip surgery. I'm very pleased with the results of the surgery but there are a few things that are still a little difficult. Mostly I just have to try things and see how it goes.

I'm so ready for a (relaxing) vacation!!!

5. Re: Salida Vacation 7/10-7/26 - Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Salida