We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wonderful week in Silverthorne 7/5/2010

Grantville, KS
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Wonderful week in Silverthorne 7/5/2010

We just returned from a vacation in Silverthorne/Dillon, and wanted to share for those considering a trip to this area. We stayed in a 1 BR condo in the Treehouse Condos on Wildernest Road in Silverthorne. Very much enjoyed the condo, felt comfortable and "at home", and it was clean and well-stocked. We stayed in unit E-105 (VRBO), and it was on the first level next to the building entrance, so was at times noisy (especially if the patio doors were open). But we live in the country, so are not used to having neighbor noise. Also, felt the bed was very firm and had a hard time sleeping, but again, we have a Tempurpedic at home. But we would definitely go back to the unit again - loved the location, the layout, the clubhouse (VERY nice, and a great view!!), the cleanliness of the unit and of the complex. The owners were very helpful and pleasant, and the cost was VERY reasonable as well.

We ate at several restaurants: Fiesta Jalisco and Pug Ryans in Dillon, Windy City Pizza and Rasta Pasta in Breckenridge. Enjoyed them all - details below:

Fiesta Jalisco - authentic Mexican food. The salsa is hot (not for the faint of heart) and very good. I ordered a quesadilla with shrimp, mushrooms, onions, spinach, cottage cheese & cheese with guacamole & sour cream on the side. VERY GOOD! My husband had a chicken chimichanga, he thought it was good, not great. A bit on the pricey side - my entree (no sides) was in the $12-$13 range. But very good food.

Pug Ryans Brewery - my husband had a couple of their wheat beers, thought they were good but not remarkable. I ordered fish & chips for dinner, they were excellent! Not greasy, very large portions (could have fed two), very nicely prepared. Came with a side of coleslaw which was bland. Again, a bit on the pricey side, although the beers were pretty reasonable during happy hour ($2.50 pints).

Windy City Pizza - we go here every time we are in the area. Love their pizza, they don't skimp on the toppings. Had a Chicago Works pizza on regular crust. Very good, especially if you don't care for thin crust pizza (although they do offer that option).

Rasta Pasta - after seeing this restaurant for our last several outings to Breckenridge, decided to try it. Why did we wait? It was fantastic! Just a warning - this is not an Italian pasta restaurant! We had a seafood linguine with alfredo, and a cheese ravioli with a fresh tomato sauce with jerk seasoning and sausage - oh my! I liked it so much, I ordered another entree to take home for later! It was a tricolor rotini with cheese tortellini and sliced bananas, pineapple and red grapes with a light oil dressing and spices - it was wonderful! And you can get your entree as spicy or mild as you like it. We will definitely return!!

There is so much to do in the area, you can be as busy or lazy as you like! We've been there enough times that we just wanted some R&R time, so didn't really want to be very active. But if you do, there are hiking/biking trails all over, Breck Bike Week was in progress with lots of activities, and in a couple of weeks there will be a music festival in Breckenridge, there is a farmer's market in Dillon on Fridays, there was a blugrass concert on Friday night, and another scheduled for either Saturday or Sunday, Dillon Lake offers all kinds of recreational opportunities, or you can just sit back and enjoy the gorgeous scenery all around. A drive to Rocky Mountain National Park is approx. 1-1/2 hours, and the scenery in the park (and the wildlife) are just unbelievable. Just note that they're doing road construction along the top of Trail Ridge Road, and there will be traffic delays for that, and your car will get dirty as they have the roads down to gravel in that stretch. While we were waiting for traffic, it snowed and sleeted....35 degrees in July! But on our way back through the park, the weather had cleared, as had the traffic, and it was a beautiful drive back to Silverthorne.

All in all, a wonderful week in Colorado!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,727 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wonderful week in Silverthorne 7/5/2010

Glad you had a good time and thanks for the report!

london
Level Contributor
166 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wonderful week in Silverthorne 7/5/2010

Thanks for the info. We will be in Breckenridge and Grand lake in a few weeks and are worried by the snow. What are the day and evening temperatures around Breckenridge while you were there?

Thanks

3. Re: Wonderful week in Silverthorne 7/5/2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2011, 08:46
Get answers to your questions about Silverthorne