We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aspen vs. Jackson Hole

Chicago
11 posts
Save Topic
Aspen vs. Jackson Hole

My husband and I are trying to plan a spring ski trip (end of March) to either Jackson Hole or Aspen. Does anyone know how spring skiing is here? We are advanced skiers, but not in the intermediate category. We had a quote to stay at the Lichenhearth Condominiums in Snowmass, if you happen to know if this is a good place. In pricing out the difference of Jackson Hole vs. Aspen, it was like $100 more to go to Jackson Hole, but again stuck on which one. Thank you very much for your time,

Sal

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
269 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aspen vs. Jackson Hole

Not sure if I'm the best person to answer this since it's been a few years since I've been to either, but I'll take a stab. Wasn't quite sure about what you meant by your being advanced skiers but not intermediate -- do you ski black runs? As reference, I usually snowboard blues & easy blacks, and my husband skis blacks but not double blacks.

For my style of riding, I like wide open areas, lots of runs (so people can be more spread out, and also offer more variety so if you're tired you can take it easy, and if you're brave you can tackle more difficult terrain), and lots of runs without moguls. I did not like Aspen Mountain -- it's not a very big resort, mostly blacks, lots of narrow chutes, lots of moguls. I much preferred Snowmass Mountain which is a large wide mountain with many runs of varying levels. However your preferences may be different. Snowmass Village is pretty boring but Aspen Village is a decent size, though I felt it was a bit hoity-toity for me (and friends accuse me of having upscale tastes). I much prefer a cozier ski town area like Whistler Village.

I did not snowboard at Jackson Hole but I've heard it's similar to Aspen Mountain in being a not large mountain with more vertical than horizontal. Vertical is all good but I want some width there, too! Another downside of Jackson Hole is that there aren't many other skiing mountains nearby, whereas there are 4 resorts in the Aspen area. That said, the surrounding areas of Jackson Hole are much nicer. The Grand Tetons are in my opinion one of the most beautiful areas in the entire United States, and if you want to take a bit longer vacation, Yellowstone National Park is just a two hour drive north from Jackon Hole through the Tetons. Also the town of Jackson Hole itself is quite cute -- though it's certainly a bit touristy, there's a lot of character there and around.

In the end it's really up to what you like as far as skiing & post-ski. I've only rode in CO at the beginning of January or the beginning of March and the snow was good then, and my estimate is that it should still be fine at end of March with the altitude and all.

2. Re: Aspen vs. Jackson Hole

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Snowmass
Recent Conversations