We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sept 2013

SC
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sept 2013

Hi! My husband and I are looking for somewhere to go for our anniv the last week of sept-first week oct. One of the hotels we can get a discount at is in snowmass. What is it like there that time of year? We are wanting scenic drives, hiking (but nothing too strenuous), wildlife viewing and enjoy little towns. Is that something we can do from snowmass? We would prob be flying into Denver. We are both in our late 20s but don't really care about any nightlife. We are from SC and are worried about altitude sickness as well.

Thank you all so much!

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sept 2013

Hi, If you back up to the CO page and take a look at the Top Questions there is a topic on altitude sickness that should answer your questions. Tons of good solid information there.

That time frame in CO is great for fall color, if things go well (just like where you live). Snowmass is a great location for day trips but was built as a ski resort town so it may not be quite as charming as some of the other towns around it. But that will still give you a great base for hikes, visiting Vail, Glenwood Springs and Aspen, etc. I'd say go for it if the rates are that good (it's off season, so that's why it's so good).

Edited: 05 June 2013, 17:40
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,487 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sept 2013

That is really off season and Snowmass will be very quiet. An off the beaten path town that I enjoy is Salida. You could fly into Colorado Springs or Denver. It is charming, lower in altitude and likely warmer than some of the other mountain communities. Check out the Palace Hotel

http://www.salidapalacehotel.com/

Another option would be Beaver Creek. I just stayed at the Park Hyatt and it was lovely. BC too is a bit lower and seems to warmer too than it's better known neighbor Vail. Me, I prefer Beaver Creek to Vail in warm months.

Edited: 05 June 2013, 17:50
Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sept 2013

Based off of what you are looking for (hiking, scenic drives, small town) Snowmass is a nice choice. As noted, it is off-season but will still be some stuff to do and you will have the outdoors to yourself. If you are lucky, might catch the aspen changing last week of sept.

Matt

SC
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sept 2013

Thanks everyone! We get a family discount at viceroy and they have a hotel in snowmass that looks nice is why we are looking there. Just got back from a whirlwind first trip to NYC last weekend so looking for something a little more laid back and naturey for our anniv! Thanks for the tips!

Denver, co
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sept 2013

Just a warning because my husband and I have been to Beaver Creek in the offseason. Lots of shops, restaurants etc. take advantage and close to give their employees some time off. We were disappointed lots of times. I would recommend a town like Vail where people live and work year-round. From there you can reach lots of places to do all the activities you want!

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sept 2013

Snowmass is very close to towns that are residential. Basalt is about 10 minutes away, Aspen 20 minutes, Glenwood Springs 30 minutes (depends on traffic, of course). If the OP is interested in scenery then this is a perfect area and perfect time of the year for that. The trade-off for great rates is that it is not peak season when everything is in high gear (like the week after Christmas).

7. Re: Sept 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Snowmass
Recent Conversations