We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from Denver to Snowmass Village

Which Snowmass Village hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, LA
3 posts
Save Topic
drive from Denver to Snowmass Village

I would like to know what the drive is like from Denver to Snowmass Village. We're from Louisiana, so I'm a little freaked out about the icy roads.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive from Denver to Snowmass Village

I-70 and Hwy 82 are generally well maintained. However if there is a snow storm the four hour drive from the airport can be scary for someone who doesn't know how to drive in the snow.

If you are staying in Snowmass/Aspen for vacation you won't need a car to get around, there is a free bus system that is very efficient. You could take the CME shuttle from Denver to Snowmass or you could catch a flight with Frontier Airlines (or another airline) directly to Aspen Airport.

Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: drive from Denver to Snowmass Village

I would agree that the drive from Denver to Snowmass/Aspen can be a challenge. In my opinion, I would only do the drive with a 4WD vehicle and only during the day. If there has been snow, can be tricky. There are a number of steep inclines/declines. The positives are that it is a very scenic trip and you drive past a number of other ski resorts like Vail so interesting to see. Also, the last part of the trip up Glenwood Canyon and then up the Roaring Fork Valley to Aspen area is really pretty. You get a much better sense of the area. Reliable flights in/out of Aspen can be a challenge. There are often snow and weather delays so the drive from/to can often be the same amount of travel time as flying if not quicker. If flying, I would pick US Air as they have the largest number of flights and fleet so can can manage delays much better. For example, Delta often only has one flight, so if you miss it you are delayed a whole day (if not more if they can't get you seats). There are also a number of ground shuttle services from Denver and these are very good and then you don't have to drive.

Edited: 23 April 2011, 15:25
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,032 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive from Denver to Snowmass Village

When are you planning to come?

If you are coming to ski, have you looked into flying to Grand Junction? Or possibly Montrose? Weather delays are rare at those two airports and the drive from there is usually much easier due to lower elevations.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive from Denver to Snowmass Village

I noticed that there are several "destination experts" in this thread, so I thought I might query whether it's wise/advisable/doable to drive from Denver to Aspen in late November?

My options are as follows: currently, my sister and I can fly into Denver for about $350 roundtrip each. We can rent a standard car for about $250/week or an SUV for about $350/week and drive the 4 hours to Aspen. Alternatively, we can take a connecting flight to Aspen (routed through Denver with a 2-hour layover) for about $650 each.

We don't mind the drive and it doesn't seem like much of a time save to fly, but I am wondering if it's doable that time of year?

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: drive from Denver to Snowmass Village

The drive is doable any time of the year, even Nov. How long it takes and under what conditions is weather dependent. If you've zero experience driving in snowy conditions maybe the extra $$ and time for the flight will lower the anxiety level. On the other hand it could be sunny and the drive in parts is quite spectacular. Tough call.

6. Re: drive from Denver to Snowmass Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about Snowmass Village