We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steamboat Springs Christmas and Skiing

1 post
Save Topic
Steamboat Springs Christmas and Skiing

My family and I will be making our first trip to Steamboat this year from 12/21 to 12/27. I have been following the snow report through steamboat.com, but I was wondering if any experienced skiers can advise what the conditions are typically like during that time of year. Also, can any locals or families that have been to Steamboat before give me any suggestions of Christmas activities during my time there? I have looked over the Steamboat website, but I'm wondering if there is anything else that might not be listed on there. Thanks!!!

6 replies to this topic
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Steamboat Springs Christmas and Skiing

Every year is different. What conditions were like last year or years before has no bearing on this year. Steamboat received some good snow this week, but there's no way to know what conditions will be like two weeks from now. Think snow!

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Steamboat Springs Christmas and Skiing

As far as snow conditions go...

It is snowing lightly right now. The temps have finally gotten cold and the snowmaking crew has been going round the clock. I'm expecting to see a fair amount of new terrain opening up by this weekend. If the temps continue to stay cold ..they will continue making snow all over the mountain. My guess is there will be a couple of decent snowfalls before the 21st, which will help open a lot. If not...there will still be plenty of manmade snow covering the main runs.

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Steamboat Springs Christmas and Skiing

Good to know, powder - I hope you are right about the natural snow. I am not fond of this bitter cold but we need it for snowmaking since Mother Nature isn't cooperating.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
Level Contributor
563 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Steamboat Springs Christmas and Skiing

The ski area will open as much terrain as they are able to for those peak dates - with both natural and man-made snow. Depending on where you are staying, some properties offer specific xmas activities and the ski area usually has some seasonal activities available as there are a lot of people in town to celebrate the holidays. I would check the local paper, the Steamboat Today, when you are in town for activities and the grooming map usually will have activities listed as well.

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Steamboat Springs Christmas and Skiing

We own a condo in Steamboat and have been there for Christmas 5 out of the past 6 years- not going this year and probably not anytime in the next 4 year as my son is a high school wrestler. Here are some general things- get your skiing in before the 26th. We always got up early and skied on Christmas Day and quit by lunch when the mountain got busy. We find those first few days after Christmas are the busiest sometimes it depends on what day it falls to but before will be less busy. Definitely check the paper, walk around enjoy the magic, I think of it as my own personal snow glob!

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Steamboat Springs Christmas and Skiing

Steamboat on Facebook today:

New terrain opening daily

Friday: All of Heavenly Daze

Saturday: Bashor lift and Boulevard, You Hoo, Right-O-Way and Eagles Nest trails

Sunday: Burgess Creek lift with Arc, Ego, Lightning, Rudi’s Run and Tower trails

Next up: Storm Peak

Reply to: Steamboat Springs Christmas and Skiing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Steamboat Springs