We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are snow conditions and crowds like in Mid march?

Hudson, North...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What are snow conditions and crowds like in Mid march?

Trying to plan a family ski trip for 2 adults and 2 kids ages 6, 13. My husband has been to many places in Utah and loves the fact they have tons of snow. I've heard great things about Steamboat Springs for the kids, but DH is hesitant because not knowing amount of snow fall in this area. Thanks for help.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are snow conditions and crowds like in Mid march?

Steamboat is a great place to take your family to ski! I had to chuckle... Steamboat is well known for getting at least 300 inches of snowfall a year, and has the best powder in the state. I received an email from them the other day that they received 11 FEET of snow in December. Have you looked at their website? www.steamboat.com/

March conditions can vary depending on the weather, of course.

Hudson, North...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What are snow conditions and crowds like in Mid march?

Maybe I didn't make my question clear. We are from NC and have an early spring thaw out most years. My DH Knows that Park City will STILL Have ALOT of snow in March, just wanting to know what snow conditions in March and average thaw out time is. Looking at March 21- 27. Thanks again.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are snow conditions and crowds like in Mid march?

Steamboat should also have plenty of snow in March. March is usually our snowiest month. I've skiied Steamboat in March, and the conditions were terrific, sometimes slushy at the end of the day if the sun was out. The last week in March you might experience that in Steamboat, the thaw usually begins in in earnest in mid-April, but mother nature can surprise is with an early thaw or lots of late snow.

Babalax made an important point: with an 11 FOOT additional base in DEcember, which is traditionally not THAT snowy, conditions at Steamboat should be fantastic tne rest of the season.

O-Town
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What are snow conditions and crowds like in Mid march?

We always go in March for our daughters' spring break. We have gone to Steamboat the past two years - once in late March/early April (we got dumped on with fresh POW twice), and last year in mid-March, it was warm, but plenty of snow (although it was a little slushy at the mountain base at the end of the day. The lines at the lifts have never taken me longer than about 5 minutes (maybe 10 minutes for the Gondola in the morning). Three years ago, my friends had great snow in March as well, so I think you guys will be fine.

Have fun.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are snow conditions and crowds like in Mid march?

March is a great time for Steamboat. Late in the month it can get quite cold but usually its sun and fun and mild. The base area does get a little (or a lot) slushy in the afternoon so I always download via the Gondola to avoid the heavy stuff. The sections from Thunderhead down to the Storm Peak Express and on up stay nice until the late afternoon. Nothing better than relaxing at the Rendezvous Saddle deck catching some afternoon rays with a brew or two before heading to the Gondola and thence to the Hot Tub.

This year looks like another epic season like a couple of years ago.

Cheers

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are snow conditions and crowds like in Mid march?

For those lucky ducks going to Steamboat, here's the latest from them:

CHAMPAGNE POWDER ALERT!

More than 15 feet of Champagne Powder® snow has fallen at Steamboat this season! In fact, it has snowed 36 out of 49 days since Nov. 21st.

7. Re: What are snow conditions and crowds like in Mid march?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 01:18