We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth the drive to Steamboat?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Worth the drive to Steamboat?

I'm planning an extended weekend in the Summit County area for late February. I plan on staying in Frisco. Originally, I had planned on hitting Vail, Copper, and maybe Keystone. I just came across the Copper/Winter Park/Steamboat Pow Pow Platter deal for $129. That's less than half of what I expected to pay for three days of lift tickets. However, I see that the drive from Frisco to Steamboat is roughly 1.5-2 hours assuming decent weather conditions, and/or worse in the event of heavy snow/avalanche. So basically I'm wondering if it is worth it to pursue this deal, or if I should take the safer (yet more expensive option) of hitting the resorts closer to I-70/Frisco. Any advice is appreciated!!

Mentioned in this post
Frisco
Frisco
Colorado
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Colorado
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth the drive to Steamboat?

If you have a flexible schedule and can watch weather, and can therefore spontaneously drive to Steamboat from Frisco when the weather is gorgeous, it is definitely worth the drive. You will make up for the 1.5 hours in the car very quickly with total vertical. Why? Because it is true that there are hardly any lift lines in Steamboat!

Mentioned in this post
Frisco
Frisco
Colorado
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth the drive to Steamboat?

A long weekend from New York driving all over the place. This does not sound fun to me. Both Winter Park and Steamboat have passes that must be crossed, a snowstorm and you are stuck. Just spend a little extra $ and relax!

Steamboat is beautiful, plus they have a great hot spring area, if you had more time I would say go for it. Were you thinking you would spend the night in Steamboat? If so, then maybe I would rethink my answer.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Level Contributor
754 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth the drive to Steamboat?

You mentioned Vail, Copper and maybe Keystone. You should check out Breckenridge. It's one of our favorite mountains to ski. We like it much better than Vail. It's also less expensive than Vail.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Keystone
Keystone
Colorado
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth the drive to Steamboat?

Thank you! I spent my first day at Vail, second at Breck, and then last at A Basin on the way home. I got the pass so it worked out well.

Mentioned in this post
Vail
Vail
Colorado
5. Re: Worth the drive to Steamboat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2009, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Steamboat Springs