We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the mountains in Steamboat smaller in size?

Which Steamboat Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
423 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Are the mountains in Steamboat smaller in size?

This may sound like a stupid question, but I've googled lots of photos of Steamboat and it seems to me the moutains are not as big as the other places in Colorado I've stayed at such as Telluride and Estes. Seems there's a lot of hills but not many huge mountains. Obviously there are mountains because there's skiing there but is it slightly flatter there than other Colorado rocky mountain spots?

Edited: 02 September 2011, 03:36
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
Level Contributor
504 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the mountains in Steamboat smaller in size?

Steamboat does not have as high of elevation as Telluride and Rocky Mountain National Park. We are definately still the mountains but our top elevation for the ski area is around 10,900. The Zirkels and the Flat Tops surrounding Steamboat have some 12,500 peaks but Telluride and RMNP are higher in elevation and have some 14ners in the area.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the mountains in Steamboat smaller in size?

The trails tend to be somewhat less steep than some other locations. There are a few pretty steep and narrow places like the Chutes or some sections of Pioneer Ridge but they are fairly short in length.

Steamboat is more like Snowmass in that it is a broad and wide mountain.

That said, it is one of the few places that has a large section of Intermediate skiing near the top in the Sunshine Peak area.

Cheers

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the mountains in Steamboat smaller in size?

Yeah I could tell they might not be as huge as the others I've been to but it's still in the mountains. Closest thing we get here in Texas is some hill country!

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Level Contributor
137 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the mountains in Steamboat smaller in size?

Steamboat's mountains are older - and therefore a little smaller. A little more 'eroded' in size I guess, and not as craggy. Lots of friends who visit Steamboat prefer it to other locations because it isn't as high an altitude as Breckenridge and Telluride, for example, and therefore it is easier on the body, heart, breath etc. Drink lots of water to help with acclimatizing to the altitude!

Steamboat is also more wide open, with lots of ranch lands. It never ceases to amaze me how beautiful it is, day in, day out and I fall in love with the area every day! I hope you do too.

Cheers, Katy

ResortQuest Steamboat

Florida
Level Contributor
693 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the mountains in Steamboat smaller in size?

I would like to add an additional question to this post. Because the mountains are smaller does that mean they get less early season snow? We are trying to decide between Steamboat, Keystone, and UT for New Years and of course snow is a big factor is decision making. We have been to Steamboat several times but always in February so we do not know about early season snow.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the mountains in Steamboat smaller in size?

Both Keystone and Steamboat have extensive snow making capability. IMHO, Keystone does a better job with early season snow-making but by New Years, both will be comparable.

What part of Utah are you considering, Salt lake, Park City, Ogden....?

Cheers

Florida
Level Contributor
693 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the mountains in Steamboat smaller in size?

We are considering Park City because we have skied Breck, Copper, vail, Keystone, Steamboat and Heavinly but never PC. However, we always go in February but our son is in high school now so taking a whole week off from school is not an option. Therefore, that only leaves us with Dec. 27-Jan. 2 to go. Being from Florida we only get to go skiing once per year so we spend the entire day from open to close skiing. By the end of the day we go out to eat and then everyone is tired so other activities are not important to us. The best snow conditions are most important. I'm nervous about early season snow conditions. Keystone and PC may be a better choice because if there is not good snow at Steamboat there is nowhere else close by to go to. Very undecided but want to book soon for better flight and condo rates.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,906 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are the mountains in Steamboat smaller in size?

You might want to consider Telluride as an option. With the higher elevation there may be more snow and it is definitely less crowded. Fly into Montrose, CO to be 1.5 hour drive or shuttle ride from Telluride.

Florida
Level Contributor
693 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are the mountains in Steamboat smaller in size?

Thanks. I haven't considered Telluride and have never been there. Is it higher than Keytone?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are the mountains in Steamboat smaller in size?

I was in Telluride last March and it's a great town. Small, but gorgeous. It was a bit pricey for my standards though. Definitely fly in to Montrose as endosunshine said. Flying into Telluride was down right scary. Actually we couldnt even land, had to land in Cortez due to the weather conditions in Telluride.

As far as the snow goes in Steamboat, I am going January 19th. Is this a safe time to go for snowboarding? Is there sure to be plenty of snow by then or am I going a tad too early? Just as JJP, I only get to go snowboarding once a year so good snow is essential.

Get answers to your questions about Steamboat Springs