We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advance booking or walk in?

Which Steamboat Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
advance booking or walk in?

Hi. We are spending some time around CO in Feb 2012. we have booked 2 weeks in Breckenridge and are planning on heading to Steamboat around Feb 20th. We are flexible and if we like Breck we would like to stay on there for another week or 2. What are walk-in rates like in Steamboat compared to early bookings? We want to be flexible and not lock ourselves into anything if possible. Will accommodation be booked out if we don't make an early booking? Any advice would be great thanks!

Edited: 20 September 2011, 11:18
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
517 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: advance booking or walk in?

Steamboat's a big town, so you'll be able to find something. I don't know if you'll save significantly by booking beforehand though. You may also wind up a drive from the mountain, but there are many options in Steamboat. As much as I like Breckenridge, I don't know that it wouldn't get boring for 2 weeks. Plus, assuming you'll be skiing, the lift lines won't be as bad in Steamboat on weekends.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,247 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advance booking or walk in?

If you're spending two weeks in Breck, I assume you know that buying an Epic Pass (season pass) is the most economical way to go. And that pass will give you access to other Vail Resorts properties such as Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone, etc. If you're looking for a second resort for another week or so, you could save a lot by staying in the Epic Pass family.

Do also note that February is a prime month and occupancy will be high. Still, if you have flexibility, you should be able to find something.

3. Re: advance booking or walk in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 September 2011, 19:05
4. Re: advance booking or walk in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2011, 20:42
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,486 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advance booking or walk in?

If last year was any indication last minute deals were pretty easy to come by. Agree with Tumbleweed that the Epic pass is the way to go. More than enough to keep you occupied. At least it does for me year after year....

I had very good luck with visitvailvalley.com/vailonsale/… last year. Booked 3 times with very good results. I wonder if Steamboat has a similar site?

I have found the Chamber in Steamboat helpful in the past

http://www.steamboat-chamber.com/index.asp other than that I have mostly booked through vrbo or Craigslist.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 17:58
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advance booking or walk in?

I agree with Tumbleweed and Alli - stay within the family with a Season Pass - get it now! You can buy them online no problem. There are so many lodging options - You can go to Homeaway.com or vrbo.com or craig's like Alli suggested, and a last minute booking will almost always warrant a discount... As long as you are not too picky. I always ask for a better price than quoted, and pretty much always get it.

I think 3 weeks in Breck sounds fun; however why not get out and about and see other ski areas! You could even fly to Tahoe and ski for free with the EPIC pass! Have Fun!

Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advance booking or walk in?

Thanks. Yes we have purchased the Epic Pass already which is why we may stay longer in the Breck/Vail area and our dates will be flexible for when we go to Steamboat. Our budget for nightly accom is not large as we are trying to stay longer (not luxurious) so do you think walk-in deals would be cheaper or regular prices in most hotels. I just know some places think you are desperate for a room and actually charge extra if you don't have a booking.

Thanks again.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
Level Contributor
498 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advance booking or walk in?

Most deals in Steamboat are for pre-booking - you can check out the packages at www.steamboat.com/packages. Some properties might offer some close-in deals but since Steamboat is more of a destination resorts there aren't as many close-in deals. Lift tickets are only discounted if you buy them in advance in a lodging and lift ticket package. If you are only coming to steamboat for 1 or 2 days I wouldn't book ahead. If you are wanting 5-7 days, I would consider booking ahead to save some money.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,486 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advance booking or walk in?

Unless you are coming Pres Weekend, the 3rd weekend in Feb, I think you are fine. The times I have gone on a whim I called the Chamber and they let me know who had rooms.

We have stayed http://www.nordiclodgeofsteamboat.com/ a couple of times. Pretty basic but good prices and the rooms are clean and updated, Very good location for going out at night. Plus there are a number of chain hotels as you come into town from the mountain.

…steamboat-chamber.com/list/category/lodging…

Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advance booking or walk in?

The last 2 years we went, we went the week before the Christmas/busy season started and were able to walk up and get good deals!! Always ask!! And check around! The best place for ski rentals is the ski haus but let them know you want a deal. The first year was an awesome deal-- the 2nd -- not so much bc we didn't ask for it! The last 2 years they had a discount hotel and free skiing through their main steamboat website. So far I have not seen that deal this time.

Get answers to your questions about Steamboat Springs