We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude Sickness - Steamboat Springs

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Altitude Sickness - Steamboat Springs

Hi can anyone advise how best to manage altitude sickness for us lowlanders when arriving at Steamboat in Jan 2012 ? We will be flying into LAX from Melb Australia, then straight onto Denver and Hayden. Am worried that we may feel the sudden change in altitude and wondering how best to manage it. We have a couple of kids 4 & 6 yrs and want to minimize the impact on them. Thanks !

South Florida
Level Contributor
153 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Altitude Sickness - Steamboat Springs

We come from Miami and have had problems at many other locations in Colorado. Steamboat's base is very low relatively. I have never had a problem other than one time the first day I went up high in the mountain and felt some palpitations. Just take it easy when you first get there. You really shouldn't have a problem.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Altitude Sickness - Steamboat Springs

If you go back a page to the Colorado forum page, then look at the top questions to the upper right, you'll see the Colorado folks have compiled a bunch of previous questions about this topic. And here's one just a few days ago:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143048-i3489-k490…

The town of Steamboat Springs is well below the altitude where much of the research says some people begin to feel serious effects--8000 feet, the equivalent altitude airline cabins are pressurized, or so I'm told. You may want to avoid heading up to ski for the first day or so to give yourselves a chance to acclimate. Some shortness of breath and mild headache is not considered altitude sickness, from what I've read, but is sort of to be expected. This can often be avoided by light activity and most importantly, drinking lots of water. For several days ahead of time and on the plane.

I really like the website of the Institute for Altitude Medicine at Telluride. It has good information for both regular folks and for medical professionals, so you can show it to your doctor and discuss it.

http://altitudemedicine.org/

One tip they give to make sure you are well hydrated but not so much as to disrupt your body's normal sodium levels: "A good rule of thumb to assess for hydration is to check your urine. Clear urine indicates adequate hydration, dark urine suggest dehydration and the need to drink more water."

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,858 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Altitude Sickness - Steamboat Springs

Here's an old thread you should read - the info and advice still applies: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33657-i928-k87122…

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
945 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Altitude Sickness - Steamboat Springs

One thought is since you are flying from Oz, the long flights will be at the same altitude in the cabin as you will be at (or lower) in Steamboat. That means you will partially acclimated when you arrive.

Cheers

5. Re: Altitude Sickness - Steamboat Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Steamboat Springs