We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in October

kansas
Level Contributor
44 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking in October

I will be traveling to Steamboat in early October with a few friends and hope to do some hiking. I have hiked some during the summers, Zirkel Circle, Mica, Devil's Causeway, Heart Lake, but never in the fall. Crazy question. Are bears an issue in the fall? We had a mama bear and cub living in the tall grass near our house this summer, which was a new experience, so bears have been on my mind since.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in October

Those are all great hikes. You shouldn't have any problems hiking anywhere in the back country. The main problem is in the residential areas, where the bears have grown accustomed to getting an easy meal out of people's trash cans. This has not been a banner year for berries. So the bears have been looking elsewhere.

Should be great hiking early Oct. Have fun!

2. Re: Hiking in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2013, 10:17