We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steamboat pluses and minuses

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
577 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Steamboat pluses and minuses

Reading a recent SKI magazine reader poll has me curious...what do you consider Steamboat's pluses and minuses as a ski destination? I know a lot of this depends on individual preference, experience, etc., but I imagine there must be sone general positives and negatives. We have never been, and we chose it for our upcoming vacation in March for the following reasons: ease of access for us (direct flight to Hayden from ATL), lower crowds due to distance from major airports, laid-back locals, Western character, affordable and convenient lodging, highly praised ski school and the Kids Ski Free program.

The poll respondents dinged Steamboat for lack of challenging terrain, but since we are novices that's not a concern for us. (I'm sure the results came mostly from experienced skiers, and, like all polls, should be taken with a big old shaker of salt.)

But I'm interested. If you were to name the areas in which Steamboat (both resort and town) excels over other CO ski destinations and the areas in which it could use improvement, what would you say?

Mentioned in this post
Hayden
Hayden
Colorado
Steamboat
Steamboat
Steamboat Springs, CO
South Florida
Level Contributor
150 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Steamboat pluses and minuses

When are you going to Steamboat? I am taking my family with a group of others and there are many things to do over the holidays.

Mentioned in this post
Steamboat
Steamboat
Steamboat Springs, CO
Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Steamboat pluses and minuses

To answer your new question- you can basically go anywhere from the Tap Room (sports bar with good bar food, no drinkable wine tho:) to Cafe Diva a wonderful dining experience-awesome wine there:). If you are going to a higher end place with the kids, we always go early (before 6:30ish) and never had problem even when they were quite young (3 &5). A couple of our favorites in addition to those 2- Three Peaks Grille- a nice view of the mountain, they have couches around a central fireplace the boys have taken their gameboys and sat there while we enjoyed a glass of wine, Mazzola's I was not as impressed last year as much as previous years but they bring the boys a plate of dough to shape and then they bake it for you so that is fun. Wine there is served in jelly jars or something similar. I have heard good things about CV Bistro and Truffle Pig as well but haven't tried them personally. We all loved Cafe Diva and it was definitely worth the splurge. My 8 year old still goes on and on about the buffalo!

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Diva
Cafe Diva
760 Reviews
Steamboat Springs, CO
Bistro Cv
Bistro Cv
245 Reviews
Steamboat Springs, CO
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
577 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Steamboat pluses and minuses

We'll be there during spring break in March. Thanks for the restaurant tips! I'll look into those.

Eaton, Colorado...
1 post
Save Reply
24. Re: Steamboat pluses and minuses

I have been going to summit county for 34 years now and frankly I am so sick of it!!! Breck was always my favorite but now that some other country owns most of the great ski resorts and the towns basically, it sucks! We are going to Steamboat for the 1st time in a couple of weeks and we are hopeing for a breathe of fresh air!

Mentioned in this post
Steamboat
Steamboat
Steamboat Springs, CO
Boston...
Level Contributor
368 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Steamboat pluses and minuses

This will be my 7th trip to Steamboat this year--obviously I love it. I like that it's relatively uncrowded skiing there and that it's easy to get around from mountain to town. The town runs free buses and most lodging properties around the mountain also have shuttles to town, so you really don't need a car. The people there really are very friendly (not that they are rude at other resorts, but Steamboat just has something special). The atmosphere is really laid back and casual and while there are some restaurants that definitely require reservations, mostly you can just walk in to most places and not have wait (at least that is what my experience has been).

So far, out west I've skied Steamboat and the Aspen area. I prefer Steamboat. (Aspen was nice, but I like that Steamboat has a more laid back, casual vibe.) Depending on which mountain you want to ski and where you want to stay at Aspen, it can feel like you spend too much time on buses as well---not the case with Steamboat--even if you choose to stay downtown). Like I mentioned above about dining, in Aspen even the most casual restaurants just seemed packed to me and required a wait which was annoying, I like that in Steamboat it's just quieter.

Mentioned in this post
Steamboat
Steamboat
Steamboat Springs, CO
Aspen
Aspen
Colorado
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,899 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Steamboat pluses and minuses

From your description, it sounds like you should check out Crested Butte some time Miramar.

Mentioned in this post
Boston...
Level Contributor
368 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Steamboat pluses and minuses

smushie---I would love to go to Crested Butte--it's one of the places on my list for the future!

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
577 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Steamboat pluses and minuses

You know how sometimes you just get a good feeling about a place after researching it? I got that feeling about Steamboat. It seems perfectly in step with our personalities and our needs.

I would love to go to Crested Butte too...maybe one day.

Mentioned in this post
Steamboat
Steamboat
Steamboat Springs, CO
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,899 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Steamboat pluses and minuses

Sounds like you're on the right track FamOf3.

30. Re: Steamboat pluses and minuses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Steamboat Springs