We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

Michigan
6 posts
Save Topic
Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

My family will be at Steamboat during the week of Christmas. We are planning to take a day off from skiing/snowboarding and stop by Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs and Fish Creek falls. It is $40/pp to take the shuttle. I have a Ford Flex front wheel drive, is it going to work? Do I have to have 4-wheel drive to go to these two places?

Thanks in advance!

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

Fish Creek Falls is on a paved road. No problem. Your car will do.

Hot springs road is gravel. At least the last couple miles on the steep climb up the hill. I would want 4WD or chains to get up there.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

Plus if you get stuck going to Strawberry Park, you are looking at some serious expenses and a fine, IIRC. I definitely recommend 4WD or a tour.

Cheers

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

Plus if you get stuck going to Strawberry Park, you are looking at some serious expenses and a BIG fine, IIRC. I definitely recommend 4WD or a tour.

Cheers

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
Level Contributor
508 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

Skibuff is right, it is a hefty (I think $500) if you get stuck on the road out to Strawberry Park. I would take the shuttle and not have to worry about a fine. At minimum, you need 4 wheel drive and good snow tires.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

Are you driving a rental car? If so, and if something happens on those two miles, you're going to be in a world of financial pain.

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

See the link below on their website

strawberryhotsprings.com/2005/finding_us.php

It notes that you will be fined and ticketed if you do not have 4WD or chains from Nov. 1- May 1.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,427 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

It's been awhile since I've been on the road but I remember it being narrow and a huge sign saying that in winter that a vehicle getting stuck basically will close down the road since they have to winch someone out. So the fine is huge to make you think twice. Go with the shuttle and enjoy the trip. I basically did not think the hot springs were all that great - but then each to their own. Colorado has so many to choose from I guess I've gotten spoiled. Hot Sulphur Springs near Kremmling was easy to get to and had lots of variety.

Edited: 15 December 2012, 17:59
Craig, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

Last year I went up there, and someone just couldn't drive well enough to make it.. lol they slid 50 yds back down! Its crazy that it was dumping snow in Steamboat Springs area, and somebody risked it, but I think it was Alpine Towing that got them out fast enough to avoid any 500 dollar fine. I think you really have to wreck to shut it down that bad.

Michigan
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

Thank you all for your responses!

Is Hot Sulphur Springs better than Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs? Do I need 4WD to get there?

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,427 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

You could drive there in your front wheel drive vehicle - you'll be on US Hwy 40 heading south from Steamboat. It is a lot cleaner than Strawberry Park - no debris floating all over. But that is probably because there is not the large open pool areas, the many pools are smaller and more easily cleaned probably. But it is not remote and as scenic as Strawberry Park.

http://hotsulphursprings.com/index.html

Edited: 18 December 2012, 16:29