We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

Michigan
6 posts
Save Topic
Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

My family will be at Steamboat during the week of Christmas. We are planning to take a day off from skiing/snowboarding and stop by Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs and Fish Creek falls. It is $40/pp to take the shuttle. I have a Ford Flex front wheel drive, is it going to work? Do I have to have 4-wheel drive to go to these two places?

Thanks in advance!

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

Hot Sulphur Springs is a 2 hr drive over Rabbit Ears Pass. Not really worth the effort in my opinion. You will like the springs in Strawberry Park.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

Not sure how a 70 mile drive translates into 2 hrs. but perhaps if the roads are snowy that may be true (and I may have somewhat a lead foot). I just thought that Strawberry Park was dirty so, as I mentioned, it wasn't for me. If we all like the same thing, what a crowded place it would be.

Another option, easy to get to and inexpensive is the downtown hot springs (after all Steamboat was named for one of the many hot springs that sounded like a steamboat). http://www.oldtownhotsprings.org/

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

SusieLou, I'm not trying short sell Hot Sulpher Springs by any means. Just trying to save the OPs a long ride from Steamboat on very sketchy roads ( at least at this point.) And yes.... snow pack roads makes the drive a wee bit longer.

I was at the SP springs a couple times this fall and the water seemed pretty clean. May have something to do with volume in the creek. And.. Thanks the Old town is another decent option.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

I did overlook the Rabbit Ears Pass portion of the road. Not sure it would be worth navigating that in the winter if there was any snow on it. I was coming from RMNP in the fall so the trip was different and much shorter.

Cleburne, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

My husband and I drove to the hot springs in the fall two years ago. We kept saying to one another, when we hit the gravel, "how in the world would somebody make it up this mountain in the winter even with a four-wheel-drive?" Bite the bullet and pay for the shuttle. You won't have to worry about the trip, and it's definitely worth it!

16. Re: Strawberry Park Natural Hot Springs - 4-Wheel Drive Only?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 08:15