We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torian versus the Grand??

Dallas
3 posts
Save Topic
Torian versus the Grand??

How do the 2 compare? I have stayed at the Torian and am considering the Grand. The hike to and from the Torian with the kids and their ski stuff was a bit much. How much better will it be at the Grand? Kids are not good enough yet to ski-in/out. We don't want to shuttle.

Thank you!

Dallas
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Torian versus the Grand??

The 2 bedroom at the Torian is $2,000 more than the Grand for the same 7 day period. That is INSANE! What would make it worth that much more?

We found individuals that are offering their units at a discount. The Torian discount a much greater % that makes it actually cheaper than the Grand. But that is a huge difference in rates considering people are saying that the Grand is better than Torian.

Room service, closer to ski school, nicer pool, third bathroom, fireplace in master and split bedrooms are the pros for the Grand.

Knowing what we are getting in the condo at the Torian is a huge plus. Washer/Dryer in unit is huge, huge plus. The cons are the long walk to the ski school (and the pool) and the loud bar that wakes the kids up.

So CONFUSED!

Any help is appreciated.

UK
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torian versus the Grand??

Hi

We have stayed at both: well we rented for 12 days at Torian Plum, got put in the Grand by United when our flight got cancelled... Have also looked around The Grand with a view to buying. So have a good idea of both. We stayed in 1 bedroom condos, but looked around 2 bedrooms at the Grand too.

As you say, it is pros and cons...

The BIGGEST pro about Torian Plum is that it is practically ski-in/ski-out: it is right near the adult ski school meeting point and a very short, gentle ski down to kiddie ski school and the gondola and lifts. Also, at the Torian, you have the washer dryer in the unit - which is great (you can wash or just dry off things after a day's skiing). You mention noise at the Torian Plum. We didn't experience any from within our unit, but ours was a partial slope view unit (so was on the side of the building) and was on the 5th floor I think. Torian Plum is EXTREMELY handy for Ski Time Square - loved being amongst the shops and restaurants there.

In all other respects, I would go for the Grand: more modern rooms/condos, really lovely pool and hot tubs (at the Torian Plum the pool and hot tubs as not as good and not directly connected to the building - at the Grand you can enter the pool from inside the building...), beautiful public areas and two restaurants actually within the hotel.

I would have loved to buy at the Grand, but just wasn't sure that I could get that rotating fractional ownership to work for us :-(

To be honest, from what you have said, I would go for the Grand (especially if your kids can't ski out) - don't think that you would be disappointed, it is a lovely property... :-)

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torian versus the Grand??

The Torian Plum is ski in/ski out, a very easy ski out/in, as noted by the UpperClassChick. Great private transportation to the Kids' Vacation Center if they aren't able to snowplow over to the center. This private transportation will also take you to the grocery, the movies, into the town of Steamboat Springs about three miles from the mountain village.

The Grand is a full resort and conference center; lots of groups of all persuasions there. It's a two to two and one-half block walk across a busy street and down two sets of stairs to walk to the Kids' Vacation Center. Their transportation may be able to drive if not out on other calls. They do maintain a locker area where the skis/boots, etc. are stored that is close to the first set of stairs. I agree with the other posting regarding the amenities such as the pool being a bit more family friendly. They also have room service from the restaurant in the building.

Both are considered premium/excellent properties by the rating company that rates all properties for the chamber of commerce. Unlike many other resort areas in which the resort controls all the lodging, Steamboat and Steamboat Springs are vastly different so very little cookie cutter effect here. Each property has it's own personality.

Dallas
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Torian versus the Grand??

Thank you all for your help. I think we will stay at the Torian again and walk over and check out the Grand for out next trip.

UK
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torian versus the Grand??

Sounds good! To be honest, don't think that you can loose - both are great (in slightly different ways).

Good plan regarding checking out the Grand for the following trip - you can see what you think for yourself... post your opinion here too please :-)

6. Re: Torian versus the Grand??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 20:16