We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving weekend

Houston
Level Contributor
161 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving weekend

We are debating whether to go Breck or Steamboat this year. Because Breck is more known for its early season snow, we normally go there. We love it, but are thinking about changing it up a bit this year. Have never been to Steamboat, so I'm wondering how busy it will be over the holiday weekend and what to expect in terms of activities (7 and 9 year old). If the snow is rather light, will there be enough to keep us busy with other activities? Are there a lot of vacationers there this time of year? I see so much lodging availibility and great prices that I wonder if it will be somewhat "dead". The slopes are scheduled to open on 11/27, but I'm wondering about their history - do they normally open most of the mountain at that time, or just a handful of lifts? I know it all depends on snow, so what I'm looking for here is for someone to say "Most years....." or "It's rare that.....". You get my drift. Thanks so much!

DJ

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,723 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving weekend

Are you flying into Denver? If you are you could certainly wait a couple of weeks to make a decision on location/lodging. Thanksgiving as you are finding is still off season and there are plenty of lodging choices available. Pick the location then based on how things are looking. Thanksgiving is late this year so that is a plus, but the last couple of years have not been great. Everything I have heard for this season indicates a return to more "normal" snow. Traditionally Nov is a snowy month.....

Resorts in Colorado in general are not 100% open till lat Dec, if then. Look for the green & blue runs to be open. Hope for a black or bump run but don't count on it.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 18:41
Colorado
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving weekend

I've skied Steamboat in early December and many of my favorite trails were not open yet. Last time was a couple of years ago, and there was good snow. We got conflicting info as to why more terrain wasn't open.

There are a few forum members who live in Steamboat so hopefully they will reply.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 18:59
Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving weekend

We were in Steamboat last Thanksgiving, there was only basically one run open. They did open up the gondola Friday I think. However, I just got a message that there are getting a ton of snow right now. They are also making night skiing available this season and have increased their snow making capabilities so that should help.

The year before we went to Keystone for Thanksgiving and it frankly wasn't much better in terms of open terrain. However, three years ago there was great skiing at Thanksgiving at many Colorado resorts.

There is plenty to do in Steamboat besides ski but unless they get a lot of snow and temps stay cold it is going to be very limited runs. Even if they have ideal conditions it takes awhile to open up everything get ski patrol out and assess the hazards, etc. For example, typically the Pony Express area doesn't open until Christmas sometimes later if they haven't had enough snow as there is no snow making on that side of the mountain.

They also completed an enormous new lodge to replace the old Four Points Hut which was literally a hut, so I am sure they are eager to get folks up there as soon as possible.

As far as activities, I assume ski school will be open but my kids waited until Christmas to go last year. Tubing in town is at Howelson Hill which opens Nov. 30th.

steamboatsprings.net/index.aspx?NID=131

I couldn't find tubing info yet, but I am not sure it is available until December. Saddleback Ranch also offers tubing, but I think that will depend on snow coverage.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,364 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving weekend

Steamboat is great, but over Thanksgiving you would be better served to hit the Summit County areas. It's definitely too early to come to Steamboat as a ski vacation destination. Breck, Copper, etc. will always have best conditions that time of year. And best case scenario will be a few runs.

Have fun.

Houston
Level Contributor
161 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving weekend

Just the info I was looking for. Thanks everyone!

Colorado
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving weekend

Just to confuse matters...

This was on the Steamboat Facebook page this morning: https://www.facebook.com/SteamboatResort

Another 4 inches of snow over night at mid-mountain. That's a total of 3 feet in the month of October and light snow is still falling on the mountain. It's all pointing to another great season of skiing and riding in Steamboat!

AND they are offering a fantastic lift ticket deal: steamboat.com/community/promotions/flash-sal…

Valid any 3 days from Thanksgiving until December 21.

Non-refundable, non-transferrable.

Limit one pass per person.

Each Boat Launch Pass is normally $129, buy one get one FREE for this deal only.

Book online or call 866-680-6814.

Edited: 30 October 2013, 17:10
Houston
Level Contributor
161 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving weekend

Great info! Am I reading this deal correctly? 2 3-day passes for $129...that's $21.50 per day of skiing!

Colorado
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving weekend

That's what it says. I know - it's crazy! Wish I could take advantage of it...

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanksgiving weekend

I just checked out the FB page and you only have 72 hours to purchase so you will have to decide quick!

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thanksgiving weekend

I have lived here since the mid 70's. I have not seen a snow base build up on the upper mt like this year. We're still a day before Halloween and the upper mountain has about a 2ft base. It is currently snowing right now. Both Rabbit Ears pass and Buffalo Pass have been superb skiing for early/mid October. The snow making crew is geared up as we speak and will take advantage of every cold nite and day to make snow base.

My prediction is..... this will "not" be 1 frozen strip of snow to ski like last year. This year, they should have quite a bit of skiing open around Thanksgiving. It really depends on ski patrol getting trails roped off and boundaries marked. I really think they will be able to open most of upper mountain. Will they?..... Their decision. I think if ski corp is smart, they will take advantage of what mother nature has thrown at us and make sure everyone knows that early conditions should be pretty darn good this year.