We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing lessons

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing lessons

Hi all,

I'm looking at going to Steamboat in late March and was wondering if anyone knows of any good ski schools / instructors? I'm a beginner and I've had a bad experience before but I'm keen to overcome this. I am more leaning towards private lessons. Any suggestions?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing lessons

There is only one ski school at the resort. (Sorry, but I don't have a recommendation for an instructor.) steamboat.com/lessons-and-rentals/snowsports…

Private lessons are very expensive: steamboat.com/lessons-and-rentals/snowsports…

On a personal note, I also had a very bad experience many years ago and didn't ski for 18 years. I took a few group lessons to get over my fear and that did the trick for me.

Best of luck - have fun!

Reading, PA
Level Contributor
110 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing lessons

Check out the snow biking as well. Loads of fun!

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing lessons

I would go with a group lesson at your level of experience. Steamboat has an excellent ski school and group lessons are less expensive. If after a few group lessons you want to go with a private lesson, you have saved a bundle and will be better able to take advantage of the individual instruction.

Cheers

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing lessons

If you can afford it, I'd recommend the private lesson as you'll get the most attention / benefit of the lesson. Linas Viatkus was our sons instructor during our recent Steamboat vacation. Ex-Olympic skiier with pleasant & calm demeanor. I'm sure there are other good ones at the Steamboat Ski School but I can certainly recommend him.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing lessons

I'm an ski instructor (not at Steamboat). Given your previous "bad" experience, it is very good that you are planning on taking a lesson. Either a group or a private lesson will be a big help to you. Of course a private lesson will allow focus on you and what you specifically need to work on. A group lesson has to teach to the middle to some extent -- though even here any decent instructor is going to give you personal feedback and suggestions. The real question that I'm not able to answer for you is how big will your group be. If it is 4 or less, you may find that experience just as good as a private lesson. If it is 8, I find that is still manageable but about the max that an instructor can continue to give personal attention to his/her students. If it is more than 8, you'll definitely wish you had taken a private lesson, even with the significant increase in costs.

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing lessons

Steamboat has a "signature 5 option" that guarantees no more than 5 in a class, it is more expensive than a regular group lesson. I have never had more than 8 in a class, but if ratio is important, the Signature is 5 is an option at a fraction of a private cost.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,605 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing lessons

Great info mexicocity. I was not aware of the signature 5 lesson option - thanks! Same here, I've never even had 8 people in a group lesson either.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiing lessons

In my introduction to skiing, my very first lesson (at a resort I will not name because it is now closed, but not in Colorado) had 33 people in it with 2 instructors.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 17:38
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
6,143 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skiing lessons

I would suggest a small group lesson for any beginner skier. Private lessons are very expensive and I think you'll get more out of a group lesson for a fraction of the price compared to a private. Watching others learning alongside you is an incredibly valuable part of the learning process for beginners and one you won't receive with a private lesson.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Steamboat Springs
Level Contributor
510 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skiing lessons

At Steamboat, all adult lessons will have a maximum of 5 people. For kids and teens who are 6 and up, you can book a signature 5 that will have a maximum of 5 kids per lesson. Regular kids/teens lessons will typically have around 8 kids per class but can be up to 10 based on your vacation dates and the ages and ability of the kids.