We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toddler in Steamboat and Ways to Save Money

Hobe Sound, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Toddler in Steamboat and Ways to Save Money

My husband and I are coming in from Florida next month with our 5year old and 2year old. My husband skis and I do not. Our 5 year old will be in ski school for a few days. My questions are these:

1. Any suggestions of things for me to do with my toddler while we're there? I know a few days my husband will probably take him down the bunny slopes between his legs, we're planning on sledding (he just meets the height requirement), the resort where we're staying has a shuttle into town so we'll probably just go walk around...anything else? We will have access to a rental car. It is too expensive to put him into ski school.

2. This is a REALLY pricey trip for us, but my husband wanted to take the kids while they were young to see snow and ski. It seems like there are a ton of fun things to do, but they are so expensive. I would love to go dogsledding in particular!!!! Any sites where there are local coupons or ideas on way to save money? Groupon, LivingSocial? Any other places to look?

3. Any other suggestions for us? Restaurants? We are staying in a relative's timeshare to save money so we will probably cook in a bunch.

Level Contributor
11,795 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toddler in Steamboat and Ways to Save Money

Pick up a free Steamboat Guide Book when you get there. It has information on activities, calendar of events, kids activities, shopping, dining and more.There are 10 pages of coupons for restaurants, activities, clothing, you name it. You can find the books all over town.

Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,879 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toddler in Steamboat and Ways to Save Money

http://www.hotsteamboatdeals.com might be worth looking at and http://www.steamboatconnection.com

the hot springs in town

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toddler in Steamboat and Ways to Save Money

The Bud Werner Library has free events including toddler story time-

The library is downtown, your shuttle should take you there.

There are a couple of different coupon books that will save you some money on dining and activities. Another suggestion would be to go to bumper cars on ice at the Howelson Ice Arena, make a reservation!

There was a coupon for a few dollars off that in one of the free magazines when I was there over Christmas.

You and your toddler could easily hike up to Fish Creek falls it is an easy 20min walk up paved and cleared sidewalk.

Restaurants- your best deal is going to be to go early and take advantage of happy hour specials. Nearly every place is family friendly. Some I would particularly recommend- Rex's great pizza & burgers it is a good value. Tap House has good bar food and is easy on wallet lots of sports momentos keeps my boys entertained. Mazzola's is casual italian & they give the kids dough balls to form & they bake them. Also economical would be any of the breakfast places- Creekside is my favorite but also Winona's, Johnny B Good, the Egg & I there are few others. Ore House is an old fashion steakhouse complete with salad bar, they have an early bird special 5pm-6pm. Hope that helps.

Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,866 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toddler in Steamboat and Ways to Save Money

Do you ice skate? The arenas I've visited have assistive "walkers" made from metal or pvc, so I imagine Steamboat's rink does, too...you could check and they have "Cheap Skate" times. Toddlers often catch on in no time at all...they think falling is fun. Or it might be fun just to go watch the skaters. I think it is! The bumper cars on ice look like a lot of fun, but the minimum age is 3, according to the website. steamboatsprings.net/DocumentCenter/View/2162

Are you bringing a backpack for the toddler? My kids load their little ones up in the backpacks and go snow shoeing.

Another likely spot to look for children's activities is the public library. There are usually toddler story and craft times, puppets to play with, and of course books to look at.

The Steamboat Rec Center/Old Town Hot Springs has a variety of classes (yoga, zumba, etc.) and child care is $6 per hr. for visitors. http://www.sshra.org/page.php?id=5

Sometimes gymnastics centers have parent & child drop in sessions. I saw Excel Gymnastics (might be others), so you might check with them to see if you have to sign up for a series of classes or if they have a drop in policy for visitors.

The McDonald's in Steamboat has a Play Place.

And of course toddlers just like to play in the snow. Snow angels, snowballs, snowmen, fill up a bucket, cup or bowl with snow and dump it out.....

Edited: 28 February 2014, 23:17
5. Re: Toddler in Steamboat and Ways to Save Money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 06:18