We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lessons at steamboat

ms
Level Contributor
361 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
lessons at steamboat

If 4 FIRST TIME SKIERS (southern women who are 40 something) want to learn to ski, is it best to take a "private" lesson (just the 4 of us) and split the cost among us, or just take a group lesson? I guess I am wondering how many are in the group lessons, typically. We will be there at the end of January when it is designated "value" season. We really want to learn to get down the easy green slopes as quickly as possible. But also, as inexpensively as possible. What do you recommend?

UK
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lessons at steamboat

How long are you there for?

My first and BIGGEST piece of advice is that you should stay in ski school for the duration of your stay. Do not attempt to get lessons for the first few hours/day and them look after yourselves... you would be doomed to a lot of falling down, cold and frustration...

I am not a ski instructor, but a frequent skier at Steamboat (well about 10-15 days in Steamboat for the past 7 seasons...). Every year we "enjoy" the entertainment whilst riding up the Southface lift (takes you past the beginners "bunny" hill) of adults/kids who have had no/minimal lessons and are trying to get down the hill themselves. It is always an amusing spectatcle of someone struggling to get up, "skiing" for about 10 feet, then falling over in a puff of snow.... NOT very amusing for those beginner skiers trying to "learn the hard way"....

The best, quickest, safest, most fun way to learn to ski is with qualified instructors - you will have a ball! Ski School is not just for absolute beginners - I spent my first two seasons (plus some additional days) in ski school (as an adult beginner).

You could look at Steamboat's new "Gauranteed Learn to Ski/Ride package" (www.steamboat.com/winter-int.aspx…) - that sounds like a good idea. It includes EVERYTHING and should get you through the whole process step by step.

An alternative could be getting an all day private lesson for the first day (so the four of you have a lot of attention), then go for group clinics for the remainder of your stay.

Group lessons are good and the group sizes seem to be about 8 people (sometimes less). So - with there being four of you anyway - couldn't see you benefiting MUCH more with a private lesson (and it does cost a lot more). It might be advantageous to do a provate for the first day, but the "gauranteed learn to ski" package sounds good.

My other advice is that being a bit "fitter" for skiing helps. You don't need to be fit for skiing, but if you do any fitness work before going (like belong to a gym with a gym programme) then it makes life easier for you...

NY
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lessons at steamboat

Wear helmuts!!!!!!!

This mountain is very dangerous with boarders and skiers flying out of the trees and dropping inches (and often times colliding with you) of you. There is a lack of snowboarding ettiguette like I have never witnessed before. Be very careful of your surroundings. Look up whenever passing through a traversing trail, even though the ones coming down should be avoiding an looking out for you, this is not the case.

We took a lesson with Chip and learned some good pointers. I have heard very good reviews of the ski school.

3. Re: lessons at steamboat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 07:17