We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does one pronounce 'Telluride'?

Bath, England
Level Contributor
125 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
How does one pronounce 'Telluride'?

Thanks

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does one pronounce 'Telluride'?

Tell You Ride

In a sentence... I can tell you ride from your excellent biking skills!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does one pronounce 'Telluride'?

;) It sounds a bit more like "tell your ride" to me, as in...hmmm....Tell your ride you need to leave in 5 minutes.

And while we're at it, Ouray is Your-A' or Your-ray, not ooo-ray or hour-ray. More like maybe..."The grade on your report card is your A....

And Ridgway is not Ridgeway. It was named for Denver- Rio Grande railroad superintendent Robert M. Ridgway, who founded the town in 1891.

Anyone else want to play town name trivia?

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
603 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does one pronounce 'Telluride'?

sure . . .

Montrose can be Mont Rose or Mon Trose.

The town got its name from Joseph Selig who suggested the name Montrose after a favorite character in Sir Walter Scott’s novel, The Legend of Montrose.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,930 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does one pronounce 'Telluride'?

Holy cow! I've been spelling Ridgway wrong for years!!

With my southern accent, it's Tell Ya Ride. ;-)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How does one pronounce 'Telluride'?

How about Salida - is it Sal-ee-da or Sal-eye-da? (I heard both there a couple of weeks ago.)

Edited: 30 May 2010, 13:19
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How does one pronounce 'Telluride'?

Well, endosunshine, now that you mention it, I guess I say it that way, too, lol!

As for Salida, I most often hear it pronounced with a long "I" (rhymes with eye). Of course the proper Spanish pronunciation would be with the ee and, if I remember my Spanish lessons correctly, the d would be pronounced softer, more like "th" However, many Colorado place names are "corrupted" or Anglicized versions of Spanish, Ute, or French words. Railroad officials named many of them. Here's an interesting website: usends.com/Explore/…Mispronounced

And then there's Buena Vista, which by all rights should be "Bway-na." But evidently when the town founders were naming the town, Alsina Dearheimer suggested the name Buena Vista, but with the first syllable pronounced the same as the English word "beautiful" because of the beautiful view.

Here's another great website which attempts to explain some of the terms often used in Colorado, like Western Slope, foothills, Front Range, and "the mountains."

usends.com/Explore/…colloquialisms.html

Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How does one pronounce 'Telluride'?

"tell-you-ride"

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How does one pronounce 'Telluride'?

Our TV stations regularly get new weather guys and they totally destroy the names of towns on the Western Slope so don't feel bad if you mess up, at least you aren't being heard by a whole passle of people who are either groaning or laughing. Nucla is new-cla but newbies sometimes pronounce it nuck-la. Naturita throws them for a total loss (nat-ur-ee-ta). Even Fruita can be too much (just Fruit-a) sometimes it comes out all mangled. But then Montrose and Pueblo are pronounced uniquely by locals. (Pee-eb-lo.) In Denver the street Acoma is pronounced quite differently than the tribe in New Mexico pronounces their name but if you say it the way they do nobody in Denver would know what you are talking about. The funniest mispronunciation I ever heard was Saguache (sa-watch). The person wanted directions to Sagawuchie. By the way, I always heard Telluride as tell you ride also.

Michigan
Level Contributor
136 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How does one pronounce 'Telluride'?

Sweet, while were at it. How do you pronounce "Gunnison"? I dont think it starts sounding like a gun, right?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How does one pronounce 'Telluride'?

Yep, it's just gun-a-sun, accent on the first syllable, then the middle syllable is the...mmm, what's it called...my grammar fails me...the schwa sound kinda like "uh," the short a sound.