We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing Telluride vs Snowmass, Vail, others

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
144 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Skiing Telluride vs Snowmass, Vail, others

Planning a family (kids 14, 13) spring break trip skiing and have heard great things about Telluride. My question has to do with size of the place. In recent years we've done Snowmass, Vail, Steamboat, Copper, (Mammoth in CA and Big Sky/Moonlight in MT) and have liked these larger places for variety over 5-6 days skiing. Telluride website shows skiable acreage as just 2000 which seems very small to me and wondering if mountain would be too repetitive by day 3 or 4? We are intermediate skiers and we know just getting there will take a bit of planning. Would appreciate some comments from anyone who has some experience at these different places.

Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
Level Contributor
408 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing Telluride vs Snowmass, Vail, others

I haven't gotten bored with this mountain in 1,600+ days. You think that you will in 4 days?

Telluride is the best Colorado. Period. :)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,949 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing Telluride vs Snowmass, Vail, others

And if you do get bored with the mountain, head over to Durango or even Silverton for off the grid skiing. http://www.silvertonmountain.com/page/home

alvinut
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing Telluride vs Snowmass, Vail, others

Pretty much all the places you've been have more terrain for the intermediate skier. But Telluride is easily the most unique town and scenic location (if not also the hardest to get to). If you don't mind some steeper groomers, I think you'll have a great time here for week. And sorry casazul, but Silverton is NOT the place for an intermediate skier.

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing Telluride vs Snowmass, Vail, others

I agree with alvinut... Definitely the most dramatic in terms of scenery.... and Silverton is not possible for intermediate. Durango isn't close enough for winter driving either... 2+ hours away.

Telluride has snow mobile tours, sleigh rides too should you need an off day.

And, keep in mind, that just because an area boasts 5000 acres or some big number doesn't mean you get to ski that many. Most folks don't ski most of the acres in Vail that get counted...

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
598 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing Telluride vs Snowmass, Vail, others

Telluride is great. And there are direct flights from Chicago to Montrose during the winter (United Airlines). Montrose is 65 miles from Telluride and you can rent a car or take a shuttle van.

There is a lot of fun terrain at Telluride. It's big enough to explore and find new fun areas each day -- but small enough to allow your kids to go on way while you go another, knowing you'll never be too far apart to meet for lunch.

Lift lines are very small (or non existent) so you can ski as much as you want without waiting in lines.

The views are unbelievable and much better (IMO) than Vail area.

New York
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing Telluride vs Snowmass, Vail, others

I've skied all the mountains you mention, have three children myself, and can highly recommend Telluride (it is our favorite). Telluride is an increadably diverse mountain with great variety from trail to trail. Only thing it doesn't have is the crowds of Snowmass, Vail, Mammoth, Copper... even fewer crowds than Steamboat. And frankly tons more variety and terrain than places like Copper, and you can actually enjoy it as it is not overcrowded. Also, all depends on what stat you look at, keep in mind that Telluride has greater vertical drop than any off the resorts you mention. And whomever says Telluride is too tough needs to ski Jackson Hole (another one we like, but like Telluride even more), in my opinion Telluride is an amazing family/intermediate mountain, has good expert too but for ultimate expert that I would have to give advantage to Jackson Hole for. Oh, and Telluride has by far the best town of any of the places mentioned, great restaurants, shops and all authentic western, much more quaint than any of the others, and unlike places like Steamboat, both the newer and older area are connected to the trails, and no car or bus is necessary as the two are connected by free gondola until approximately midnight.

Chicago
Level Contributor
144 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing Telluride vs Snowmass, Vail, others

Thanks to everyone for all your feedback. All of it very helpful. I'm thinking we're going to give Telluride a try this year-- really no bad options sounds like. Anybody have thoughts on condo's or ski in/out places to stay? Considering staying at Kayenta condos but not sure if they're conveniently located to the free gondola?

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
598 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiing Telluride vs Snowmass, Vail, others

Kayenta condos are in a great location! They are right in mountain village and right next to the base of the gondola. I don't know anything about the units themselves, but the location is great.

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Skiing Telluride vs Snowmass, Vail, others

Might want to compare Kayenta with the Franz Klammer. It too is right by the gondola in mountain village. Condo units with hotel service. Great for children and adults alike, with activities for the kids, luxury spa for the adults, etc. See VRBO for rentals.

kansas city
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skiing Telluride vs Snowmass, Vail, others

i agree with all the posters who say "go telluride" vs vail etc. You will not get bored skiing there, and the scenery is like no where else. But, i would strongly suggest you stay in the Town of Telluride vs Mountain village. Get a condo or house on VRBO or thru Accomadations in Telluride and try to be around 3 blocks to the gondola. The town is what makes a trip to telluride unique.