We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from Durango to Telluride

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
transportation from Durango to Telluride

We are flying into Durango on our way to Telluride Dec 26, and flying back out a week later. We can't find any advertised shuttles, but are we missing anything? We'd really rather not rent a car for the whole week just for the drive to and from the airport, but it is looking like we may have to do so. Anyone have any other ideas?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,212 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from Durango to Telluride

Most people come in to Montrose since Durango is almost twice as far and there are several direct connections to Montrose during ski season. (If they don't fly in to Telluride from Denver or Phoenix) I didn't think there was a shuttle from Durango, but turns out the DTI Shuttle website does say they can provide transportation to Telluride. You'll have to contact them for pricing for sure, but it looks like

$30 USD for one person

$20 USD for second person in the same party

$15 USD for persons 3 through 5 in the same party

plus $3 per mile outside the Durango city limit. (110 miles?)

At that price one way, I can't imagine they would do much business to Telluride.

durangotransportation.net/Airport_and_Train_…

Have you already purchased your tickets?

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from Durango to Telluride

I would try to change to Montrose and take the shuttle. Hwy 550 from Durango towards Telluride is not a fun road in the winter. If you are not used to snow and switchbacks, it can be downright scary. It's a beautiful drive on a clear sunny day but I hope to never have to do it again in the winter.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,212 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from Durango to Telluride

If driving from Durango, it's actually shorter and quicker to go via Lizard Head Pass, through Mancos, Dolores, Rico. And only one major pass vs 3 the other way. And wider shoulders, fewer winding switchbacks.

Edited: 23 November 2010, 01:06
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,074 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from Durango to Telluride

I would avoid driving Hwy 550 Durango to Telluride in the winter. Very scary.

If you must rent a car, take the alternate route mentioned above.

Edited: 23 November 2010, 02:15
5. Re: transportation from Durango to Telluride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2011, 06:47