We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Telluride for the intermediate skier

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Western Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Telluride for the intermediate skier

We are travelling with a mixture of advanced skiers and boarders and the more timid intermediates who don't want to go out of their comfort zone. Can Telluride cater for both? Is there a terrian park?

We have skied Whistler many times and love it but wanted to try something else.

All suggestions welcome!

Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
641 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Telluride for the intermediate skier

I've skied at Telluride about 5-6 times on telemark skis, and stayed on Intermediate (blue) terrain every time -- there were plenty of great runs to keep me happy all day long.

Sorry, but I don't know about the terrain park.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,679 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Telluride for the intermediate skier

I think everyone will be happy in Telluride. There are approx 125 trails and approx 23% beginner, 36% intermediate and 41% advanced. Percentages vary a little depending on which site you get the info from. Telluride is beautiful.

Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
Level Contributor
399 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Telluride for the intermediate skier

Since there is no standardized measurement system for rating what is beginner, intermediate, and expert terrain, take the amount of "blue" trails on the map with a grain of salt.

Truth be told, Telluride is heavy on beginner and expert terrain. A blue run in Telluride would often be considered a black run at many other resorts.

Statistics lie...

Edited: 07 August 2011, 15:59
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,679 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Telluride for the intermediate skier

I agree, I am not that good of a skier (altho my hubby is expert and has skied here for over 30 yrs) and many of the the blue runs are too hard for me. I usually stick to green.

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Telluride for the intermediate skier

If you are looking at Telluride, I'm assuming you're ok with spending some money. If you have intermediates with the group, consider Aspen. There is plenty of terrain for both types of skiers between the four areas. Aspen is probably better for the more advanced skiers only. I think it is the lesser of the four areas in my opinion.

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Telluride for the intermediate skier

The advanced skiers will be in heaven in Telluride -- super challenging runs and fun! Beginners/Intermediates will be content. They will have ample terrain. The real thing about Telluride is that it is steeper than many areas to begin with but that doesn't mean they don't have some runs that will agree with skiers of all abilities.

I haven't skied Aspen but I have to say that Telluride is by far my favorite area to ski in Colorado! They have great cruisers, great bumps and great steeps...

There are fewer crowds due to its remote location.

Montrose, Colorado
Level Contributor
587 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Telluride for the intermediate skier

At Telluride I really like that a group like yours can often all ski together and take different runs in the same pod, meeting up at the chairlift and riding up together. Yes, there are some areas with only advanced runs -- but for the most part all of the intermediate runs offer a more challenging way down for the thrill seeker. For example, if the kids and I want to ski blues -- my husband joins us and then turns into the trees or takes a quick loop around to hit some glades or fresh powder before finding us again. And, even if your group splits into two -- it's easy to navigate back together for lunch.

8. Re: Telluride for the intermediate skier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Telluride