We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Telluride or Aspen

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Telluride or Aspen

Hello for all, I’m a early bird and now I star my plans for the next Christmas, and New Year vacation.

What you think about Aspen or Telluride at this time?

What is less crowded?

I’m looking for the empty place I can find.

We are a couple 30”s with a baby.

Tks for all.

Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Telluride or Aspen

Except for this past holiday I spent the past 5 in Aspen. Crowds are relatively light but I'd say since Telluride is more difficult . . . translation - more time and expensive to get to . . . there will be even less hill congestion. Note that Aspen has 4 ski areas adding up to about 5300 acres. Telluride has slightly less that 2000.

Both are upscale and pricey during especially during the holidays. Consider your local travel agent for package deal to save money over doing it yourself.

http://www.aspensnowmass.com/

tellurideskiresort.com/tellski/index.aspx

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,023 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Telluride or Aspen

Are you planning a ski vacation?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Telluride or Aspen

Yes I planing a ski vacation for the next holiday.

We are looking for the less crowded place.

tks for all sugestions.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Telluride or Aspen

My opinion having been to both several times and reading your wish for smaller crowds, TELLURIDE. The town is much smaller, less pretentious yet still very upscale. I also think that the views in Telluride are more breathtaking than Aspen. As texranger said above, Telluride is more difficult to reach, but worth the extra travel, IMHO. Telluride can be reached by car or by flying into the town of Montrose, Colorado and then they have many shuttle buses from Montrose to Telluride . Approx. 2 hour drive, but you drive past the magnificent ranch of designer Ralph Lauren and that helps pass the time. Telluridde has an unique public transportation system, a gondola from The Mountain Village into Telluride and back. We have stayed in both the town and Mountain Village....YES to both!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,679 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Telluride or Aspen

Telluride is the least crowded of all the ski areas, since it is more isolated. Absolutely gorgeous at the holidays with all the decorations. You will love it.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Telluride or Aspen

Thanks for all sugestions and coments, we decido to go to Telluride.

Now the next step is decide what hotel will be reserve.

I thinking about Madeline, this hotel is really ski in/ out?

We are travelling with a 1 yr baby, did you think this is a good option?

I realy apreciate suggestions.

Thanks for all.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Telluride or Aspen

I've only been to Telluride once and I really enjoyed it. It's very small, but after just getting back from the much larger Durango, I learned that I appreciate the much smaller ski resort towns. I like how the gondola ride in Telluride runs all the way til midnight. The ski mountains is one of the very best. Lots of good restaurants and gorgeous scenery. We stayed at New Sheridan hotel. It's an antique style hotel and we loved it there.

Have never been to Aspen but if all goes according to plan, I'll be visiting Glenwoon Springs/Aspen around this time next year, and plan going back to Telluride/Silverton/Ouray next summer. But anyway I can't vouch for Aspen cause I've never been but I will say Telluride is top notch as far as ski vacations go. But again, it's very small, more of a village than a town.

Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
Level Contributor
399 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Telluride or Aspen

Smaller, more scenic, more quaint, and better skiing always wins out in my book. Telluride is tops.

P.S.- The New Sheridan is not an "antique style" place, it's a truly historic 1800's mining era hotel!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
423 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Telluride or Aspen

That's probably a much better description of The New Sheridan Ttown. I just got lazy on that one. At any rate, it's a lovely place to stay, especially if you're like me and have an affinity for historic hotels. It's not quite as awesome as The Stanley in Estes but it's great none the less. Also I love the location. The gondola ride is just a five minute walk away. And the hotel restauant is a bit pricey but serve very good food.

Colorado
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Telluride or Aspen

I had a conversation with a German couple riding the lift who were on vacation and had just visited Aspen/Snowmass and I asked which they preferred. There answer was Telluride and they said it was not even close. They said that while Aspen has multiple mountains and more acres, that Telluride had more and better terrain and was so much more of a real ski town feel than aspen.