We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Colors

champaign, IL
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fall Colors

My wife and I are planning a trip to the telluride and durango areas this september. We are looking at the week of sept 22-29. 3 days ago, we received an email from a Telluride tourism website stating that because of the "askew" weather this year, peak foliage will occur a few weeks earlier than normal. They recommended the first week or two of september. This seems really early. what do you guys think or recommend?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Colors

The weather has been pretty crazy all over the state, but that seems very early. I have not heard/read any predictions like that for this part of CO. We're usually about 10 days ahead of the SW part of the state. We went from extreme drought conditions to record rainfall in July. I have no clue what fall will bring.

Don't know what to say... maybe shoot for mid September? It is difficult to plan!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,519 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Colors

Usually it is not that early, but the weather has been weird this year. I would think that if you pick about mid month, you should be pretty safe.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Colors

Totally anecdotal here but.. we have a walnut tree that is always last to leaf out and first to change. It is changing already. Though that is in Denver. Not sure what it means. Could be that it is tired. It did leaf out very early this year so maybe it just thinks it is time. It has been hot so nothing to do with the temps...as Babalax and endosunshine said, it has been an odd year!

Edited: 03 August 2012, 01:39
Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
Level Contributor
421 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Colors

I have also heard that the season was running about two weeks early this year too. Mid-Sept should be your best bet. But then again, who really knows. The climate has been all over the place this summer.

USA
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall Colors

I was just in Crested Butte, similar elevation, and the leaves were just starting to change.

Colorado
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall Colors

leaves are just starting to change, which is about normal. I would still expect peak to be in about 3 weeks which is not out of the ordinary.

champaign, IL
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall Colors

The last week of September (2012) was absolutely perfect!

champaign, IL
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall Colors

The last week of September (2012) was absolutely perfect for fall colors!

9. Re: Fall Colors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 07:16