We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multiple Condos or Multi-room Motel in June?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Multiple Condos or Multi-room Motel in June?

Hi,

My extended family usually has a get-together every 2 years in Platoro, CO (summer) and we're looking to change our location next time. There are more and more youngsters every year and there is just not enough to entertain them in Platoro. We thought that Ouray would be good because of the hot springs, but I looked on google street view and "downtown" ouray seems pretty desolate. Could be totally wrong; it's just what I saw along the main road.

So now I'm looking at Telluride- but the prices on condos are so high in June! We are looking for about 6-9 separate cabins, hotel rooms, or condos. We could also do a largo condo for several of the families plus several smaller condos nearby.

Our requirements are just that the rooms are all in the same vicinity, i.e. a quick walk between cabins, each room must be under $150 a night, and we want to be in town. It's the "under $150 a night" that's tripping me up now. I need help!

Does anyone have any wise suggestions of affordable lodging in town? Our next trip will be 2015.

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,465 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Multiple Condos or Multi-room Motel in June?

When are you coming? June 20-24 is the Telluride Bluegrass Festival, which is a huge event and everything will be very crowded. During that times rates may be higher. Have you tried looking on www.vrbo.com for something. However, I'm not sure that would work for you since you need multiple condos. Also, have you tried looking in Mountain Village? Technically, Telluride and MV are two separate towns, but they are connected by the free gondola. MV is basically a planned community and has tons of condos. Telluride has more character, but if you can find something in MV that suits your budget ~ go for it. The Mountainside Inn in Telluride is one of the more affordable locations ~ 79 rooms and I think one 3 bedroom condo.

Hope this is helpful.

About Ouray... I don't think that it has as much charm as Telluride or is quitea as busy, but plenty of people would totally disagree. The 2 are only 1 hr apart by car (gorgeous views on the way). So you could easily visit Telluride as well, if you choose to stay in Ouray. Ouray has the hotsprings as well, which attracts many people.

Mentioned in this post
Telluride
Telluride
Colorado
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Mountainside Inn
Mountainside Inn
227 Reviews
Telluride, CO
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Multiple Condos or Multi-room Motel in June?

I wouldn't describe Ouray as desolate at all...not sure what view they were showing you. There are some businesses for sale and some empty storefronts as there are in most communities these days; but there's still plenty to do, IMO. Telluride's larger and more upscale, (and more expensive, in general) with a greater variety of lodging, shops and restaurants; you can hardly beat the scenery. If you can find something within your budget, it would be a great place to vacation! But Ouray would be, as well... it is also walkable, picturesque, historic, and scenic, plus it is generally more affordable & it has the hot springs. And it is a little better base, IMO, to visit Silverton, Durango, Montrose/Black Canyon (Montrose has a couple of nice golf courses if any of your party golf), Ridgway. The two towns have different "vibes."

There are some townhomes right by the river next to the pool and park, (some of them come with a couple of free pool passes) but you'd have to walk (or drive) past the pool and park to get downtown...maybe a half mile or so, still very convenient to town and really convenient to the pool and park. There are some townhomes across the highway from the pool on the east side of the highway...I don't know if they are vacation rentals, but if they are, don't rent those, because they are literally right on the highway at the entrance to town.

Most of the hotels/motels are very convenient to downtown. A few have access to the same hot spring that fills the town pool. One of the neat things about the Ouray spring is that the water is odorless.

The Box Canyon Lodge has an apartment with full kitchen, plus a couple of junior suites, plus hotel rooms. They are one of the hotels in town that is located near the source of the historic hot spring water and they have their own wood hot tubs terraced on the hillside overlooking town, for exclusive use of guests. http://boxcanyonouray.com/rooms/

The Weisbaden is another hotel that has a variety of accommodations, and water rights to use the hot spring water.

wiesbadenhotsprings.com/accommodations.html

I have friends whose favorite place to stay is the Best Western Twin Peaks. It gets mixed reviews, but they have always found it clean and comfortable.

Here are a couple of agencies that handle vacation rentals, and of course there's VRBO, but with the variety of rooms that you need, VRBO might not be the best way to coordinate your locations.

ourayvacationrentals.net/Ouray_County_CO_lis…

http://alpenglow-properties.com/

ourayrealty.com/Real_Estate_and_Vacation_Ren…

Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Silverton
Silverton
Colorado
Durango
Durango
Colorado
Montrose
Montrose
Colorado
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Multiple Condos or Multi-room Motel in June?

this is so helpful, thank you! i'm now considering ouray due to it's affordability. I think i was looking too far north on Main street in google street view there.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Multiple Condos or Multi-room Motel in June?

Does anyone have an opinion on Box Canyon Lodge vs. River's Edge Motel in Ouray?

Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
River's Edge Motel
River's Edge Motel
505 Reviews
Ouray, CO
5. Re: Multiple Condos or Multi-room Motel in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 05:15