We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Telluride, never been?

Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
241 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Telluride, never been?

What is the best airport to fly into to go to Telluride and is Telluride a good place to come for ski trip if only have beeing skiing once before?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,500 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Telluride, never been?

My kids and grandkids learned to ski at Telluride, so based on that, I'd say Telluride is fine for beginners. The resort is easy to negotiate, the town is awesome and very walkable, lots of lodging options, and the scenery is darn near unbeatable. There are hardly any lift lines. The downside is that it will usually be more expensive to get there in comparison to the resorts nearer Denver, as there are almost always cheap flights to Denver. Wherever you go, I'd recommend taking a lesson or two to refresh & improve your skills.

IMO the best way to get there is to fly in to Montrose, especially if you can get a direct flight, thus bypassing Denver and reducing layover/connection time. From Baton Rouge, I would imagine you could get your connecting flight in Dallas or Houston. http://www.coloradoflights.org/ The nice thing about flying in to Montrose is that the weather is usually favorable and it is a small airport, easy to negotiate.

From Montrose, it's a very scenic ride via (approx. 1 1/2 hours) shuttle or rental car. Shuttle drivers often plan a stop at a grocery store for those who want to pick up some groceries or supplies. You won't need a car in Telluride, and parking is at a premium, so the shuttle is advised.

You can also fly directly in to Telluride if you connect in Denver. You can connect in Denver to Montrose, as well.

If you happen upon a really good deal on a flight to Grand Junction or Durango, those are options, as well, but there are fewer shuttles and they will cost more.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,401 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Telluride, never been?

Pretty much every thing said above. Telluride does has a small airport ~ the highest commercial airport North America. Flights can be expensive, unless you catch a deal and in winter can be re-routed due to weather. Montrose is where I usually fly in and then drive up. Montrose airport is extremely busy on Saturdays, so keep that in mind when looking at flight times and how early you will need to be there in order to leave. If you fly into Montrose (especially if renting a car) you can stop and grocery shop there before heading up to Telluride ~ less expensive. That of course, is if you are staying in a condo rather than a hotel.

3. Re: Questions about Telluride, never been?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 05:17