We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What kind of rental car for December?

Honolulu
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
What kind of rental car for December?

Hello,

We (family of 3) are planning to visit Telluride the week between Christmas and New Year, flying into Grand Junction since it's the only airport available for our award flight. I'm trying to compare the shuttle option vs renting a car. Can somebody tell me what kind of car we'd need to rent? We have no experience driving in snowy condition.

Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What kind of rental car for December?

A front wheel drive car is all you'll need. The drive is pretty straightforward right up until you get near telluride. The bulk of it is straight highway through the desert from GJ past Montrose.

Mentioned in this post
Montrose
Montrose
Colorado
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
12,509 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What kind of rental car for December?

The roads are well plowed and should not be an issue, unless you happen to be driving on a day with heavy snow. If that should happen, you may want to wait and drive the following day.

Telluride...
Destination Expert
for Telluride
Level Contributor
443 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What kind of rental car for December?

Once you are here, you won't need a car to get around. I suggest getting a shuttle from the airport and forgetting the rental car entirely.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,948 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What kind of rental car for December?

Will you want to do any exploring of the area while you're there? i.e. a stop at Colorado National Monument or the Black Canyon Natl Park? Maybe a trip to Ouray to play in the hot springs pool? (can be a magical place in the winter!) If so, renting a car is the way to go. It may be more reasonable in price, too...you'll have to check that out. But factor in whether your lodging has free parking. I know shuttles from Grand Junction to Telluride are available, but they aren't as frequent as the ones from Montrose, so you'll need to check out the convenience/timing factor, too. Let us know what you decide.

And I agree, a front wheel drive sedan is all you'll need. I usually recommend getting a car similar to what you're used to driving.

Edited: 12 November 2013, 16:41
Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Montrose
Montrose
Colorado
Honolulu
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What kind of rental car for December?

Thank you for your responses. Very helpful!

We rented a condo in Telluride for 8 nights, then 1 nigh hotel t in Grand Junction before our early flight home the next day. I originally thought of taking the shuttle for the ease of it and staying in Telluride the entire time. But then started to think of the flexibility we could have with a car (e.g. stopping to get supplies in GJ, taking a day trip somewhere (Ouray - thanks for the idea!), taking our time to drive back the day before our flight, etc.) Cost-wise: the condo has free parking and a front wheel sedan would cost us half as much as the shuttle!

So it sounds like a 2 W-D is sufficient and the road not too difficult to drive (if weather's good). I'm going to book it then. Thanks so much again!

Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
6. Re: What kind of rental car for December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 05:16