We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Mountain Lodge Feb 22-Mar 1 - first time visitors

Which Telluride hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Mountain Lodge Feb 22-Mar 1 - first time visitors

Coming to Telluride for the first time for a week of skiing and to celebrate our birthdays and retirement! We've skied lots in Summit County, Steamboat and Winter Park in Colorado as well as many resorts in Utah. We are staying at the Mountain Lodge. Any favorite ski runs for blue skiers? What restaurants are a must for us? We'll likely cook a few meals in the condo, so we'll want to shop a bit too. How much more expensive is it to buy groceries and alcohol in Mountain Village? It's just the 2 of us. Also, what else should we make sure we do in Telluride? Thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Mountain Lodge Feb 22-Mar 1 - first time visitors

Congrats on your retirement! You will love Telluride. Your lodging is right next to the Mountain Village grocery and it is an expensive little grocery store. In fact, many times my family and I (four kids) spend less going out to eat than we do buying everything for a meal in. The grocery in town is a little less expensive but not a lot of choice.

We ate at Bon Vivant (on the slopes) for lunch over Christmas and it was wonderful. Try it, it's not as expesive as many think and the view is spectacular. We also liked SMAK bar in the Hotel Madeline (all the appetizers are great). Baked in Telluride (the food-not the pastry's) is another favorite of the kids and Cosmopolitan is an adult favorite. Make reservations for that one.

Our favorite blue run- See Forever. You won't believe the views.

Enjoy!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,792 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Mountain Lodge Feb 22-Mar 1 - first time visitors

Are you flying into Montrose? If possible, I would grocery shop there. MUCH less expensive, wider selection. I typically fly into Montrose, shop and then head up to Telluride.

My favorite restaurant in Telluride is 221 South Oak, always fabulous. Also really like New Sheridan Chop House, Cosmopolitan, Rustico, La Marmotte, on the more casual side ~ Brown Dog, Telluride Bistro. Honga's Lotus Petal (sushi and Asian) is good, but very overpriced. They do usually have an awesome Happy Hour special (downstairs in the bar) of a sushi roll and a mojito for $12 (unless price has changed). Good selection of rolls and they have several different types of mojitos. Restaurants in Telluride are not inexpensive, so be prepared. I would suggest reservations for all mentioned, except Brown Dog. These are all in the town of Telluride, not as familiar with the places in Mountain Village. Allred's (on the gondola route, between Telluride and MV) has great views, I suggest it for happy hour drinks and apps. In my opinion, the dining is not as good as other places and have found the staff to be less than appealing in attitude.

Be sure to visit the small Telluride Museum, details the local history from the time before white men, to the mining days, up until the present. Great way to spend a couple of hours.

www.telluridemuseum.org

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Mountain Lodge Feb 22-Mar 1 - first time visitors

Thanks so much Scott and Endo! We love all the suggestions and will try to do most of them.....looks like we might need to make lots of trips to Telluride!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,792 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Mountain Lodge Feb 22-Mar 1 - first time visitors

I started in '92 and have been at least once a year since. :-) My husband has been going out there for much longer and used to live in Telluride some years ago.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Mountain Lodge Feb 22-Mar 1 - first time visitors

If you have a car (or rent one for the day) you might drive to Ouray to soak in the hot springs pool and see the ice climbing park. There'll likely be some climbers to watch, too. Stop at the Ridgway Railroad Museum and take a look around town for some of the original True Grit movie locations...have brunch at Kate's. Maybe take a walk on the walking trail toward Ridgway State Park and see if you can spot some eagles or other wildlife. (and watch along the cliffs and roadsides for deer, elk, and bighorn sheep) And visit the Dennis Weaver Memorial Park to see the awesome eagle statue.

For some more awesome views, take a drive toward Lizard Head Pass. Or see if the remote but world famous Dunton Hot Springs has any spots available for the public, or maybe enjoy a massage there.

duntonhotsprings.com/activities/hot-springs.…

There's ice skating, snowmobiling, snow shoeing, horseback riding and sleigh rides, fly fishing... Take a walking tour of town, see what's going on at the Sheridan Opera House. If I'm not mistaken, I think you'll be there for Telluride's Gay Ski Week, so there should be lots of activities going on.

visittelluride.com/things-to-do/winter-activ…

tellurideskiresort.com/info/activities-event…

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Mountain Lodge Feb 22-Mar 1 - first time visitors

Thanks! @missp.....we had to chuckle.....my husband is retiring from the railroad, so not likely to visit the Ridgway Museum on this trip! :) We won't be getting a car this time, but I feel sure this will not be our last visit to the area. Snowmobiling sounds fun and we always just enjoy the beauty and gift of nature. We appreciate all your suggestions!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,792 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Mountain Lodge Feb 22-Mar 1 - first time visitors

Be sure and come back in the summer, it is wonderful then! July is wildflower peak season. Summer is a great time to visit the surrounding area ~ Ouray, Ridgway, Mesa Verde, Silverton, etc , get in some great hiking and see the beautiful flowers.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Mountain Lodge Feb 22-Mar 1 - first time visitors

Lol,NM, rail workers are often the biggest buffs of Colorado's historic narrow gauge railroads. The old Galloping Goose is not like anything he's worked on, I'll bet. But I misspoke, I guess...the railroad museum is closed in the winter.

Have a fun trip!

9. Re: Staying at Mountain Lodge Feb 22-Mar 1 - first time visitors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 05:17