We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vail vs aspen summer

Miami
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
vail vs aspen summer

Hi,

I am going with my wife t o colorado for a week at the end of June. I booked a reseravtion in Vail but have been told by friends that I am much better off in Aspen. Is this true? Did I make a mistake? I am so unfamiliar with Colorado and would love some re-assurance. Thanks in advance.

David

Grand Lake, Colorado
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: vail vs aspen summer

Ok, without sounding like a smart a$% i gotta ask. How many of your friends have been to either location?

Vail is absolutley beautiful. So is Aspen, and so many other towns in Colorado. If i were to choose between the 2? I would go with Vail.

Red

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vail vs aspen summer

Both Vail and Aspen are great. You can't go wrong with a summer vacation in the mountains of Colorado. Aspen and Vail top the list of best places to be. Which is "better" is very subjective and depends on the goal of your vacation. Either one will have great dining, shoping, activities (rafting, biking, gondola rides, fishing, etc). Both areas also have great culture (Vail hosts Bravo! Vail Valley and Prima - find details at vail.com). Vail has more/better golf courses.

Again, both resorts are great. You are certainly not making a "mistake" by visiting one of the top resort towns in ski country (and summer is the secret season - you'll love it).

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vail vs aspen summer

As part of the commuting workforce, I have spent a good deal of time in Aspen. My trips to Vail were just weekend trips for pleasure. As the previous post said, it depends on what you are looking for. Both offer good nightlife, dining and shopping. I think Vail has a few more shops geared towards a moderate budget. I also enjoy the walking in Vail more, perhaps because you don't have to deal with traffic. Both have weekend markets, but Vail's is larger. When stay in Vail, it is very easy to take a day trip to the Breckenridge/Frisco/Dillon/Silverthorne area, if you have a car. You could also stroll around Beaver Creek, Avon & Edwards by taking the bus or a short drive. I love Aspen, but I think you will find more to do around the Vail area.

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vail vs aspen summer

I personally prefer Aspen (big surprise) as I don't enjoy the interstate whizzing through the middle of Vail.

At this point I'd suggest you search both the Aspen and Vail forums as this was a wildly popular question last summer and I think you'll find a lot of additional information that will help you make up your mind. Good luck!

Miami
Level Contributor
71 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vail vs aspen summer

Thank you all for the advice.

David

Glenwood Springs...
Level Contributor
473 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vail vs aspen summer

When you are in the Villages, you never even know the highway is there. Everything on the north side of the hwy is mostly residential, so with the exception of grocery stores, Sports Authority, fast food and gas stations, you don't spend much time on that side of the hwy. Most people either love Aspen, don't care for Vail or love Vail and don't care for Aspen. I happen to love the both for different reasons. Regardless of your end choice, you could always do a day trip to the other just to see what it is like. It is about a 2 hour drive from one to the other.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,723 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vail vs aspen summer

You will not go wrong with either. Anyway that you could do both?

A bit partial to Vail but I could easily be persuaded differently.

Like others have said, No worries either way.

Colorado
Level Contributor
534 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vail vs aspen summer

My vote would be for Aspen, but not having been to either, I think you'll have a great time no matter where you choose!

The biggest plus to vail is proximity to the airport and any other mountain towns you might want to visit.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vail vs aspen summer

I do not know if Aspen has one, but the Vail Valley has a great website which will fill you in on the activities here during your stay. www.snow.com.

Both areas offer alot. Vail is easier to get to. 100 miles straight from Denver on I-70

And as a comment to the previous poster about I-70 whizzing "through" our town> unlike Aspen where you have to constantly dodge all the traffic troughout thier town and fight for parking spaces> we keep our traffic out on the interstate and have a peaceful and safe "pedestrian only" village! ;-D

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
980 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: vail vs aspen summer

Yes, of course Aspen has a website. www.aspensnowmass.com, and for summer www.aspenchamber.org is also good.