We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stupid question but still need an answer

Bartonville, IL
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
stupid question but still need an answer

Am traveling to Vail, July 6th - 13th with my husband and two 14 year old boys. What to wear? Is it cold at the top of the mountains and warm below? Are you able to swim?

Also, any suggestions for the best places for nearby hiking, fishing and whitewater rafting for first timers?

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stupid question but still need an answer

Certainly not stupid questions! For a description of hiking in the area, try going to http://www.mtvacations.com/hiking.html You can choose the level of difficulty that works for your family

My husband likes to fish the Blue River. Other favorites are Gore Creek and the Colorado River.

Weather in early July can be nice and warm from the mid 70s to low 80s. Of course the higher you go, the cooler it gets and at night it can be downright chilly. Watch for thunderstorms in the afternoon.

I think alpine lakes and streams are way too cold to swim in. Dillon Reservoir (in Summit County) prohibits swimming but you can go boating, canoeing, sailboarding and fishing

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stupid question but still need an answer

It can get chilly at night - a lightweight jacket, fleece or sweater would be appropriate. There are limited swimming options - Eagle Vail, Eagle and Avon all have public pools. Or you can go to Glenwood for the Hot Springs Pool.

Hiking: Try Hanging Lake, Booth Falls or Vail/Beaver Creek Mountains for good starter hikes.

Fishing: Gore Creek is a great option (right through Vail Village) and Gore Creek Flyfisherman does free casting clinics daily.

Rafting: I'd recommend the Colorado River through Glenwood Canyon as the best first time trip. Your hotel concierge can book this for you - Nova Guides, Lakota Guides and Timberline Tours are the local outfitters.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stupid question but still need an answer

As previous poster suggested, Glenwood Pool is awesome> it is a Hot Springs Pool. Check this website for Glenwood Springs or Google : Glenwood Springs for complete info. Glenwood is 56 miles straight west of Vail Village on I-70, an easy & scenic drive. In Glenwood they also have a great cave tour & terrific scenic restaurant at the top of a gondola, which I am sure your boys would enjoy called Glenwood Caverns.

There is also a service in Glenwood where you can rent bikes & bike the canyon for an easy yet scenic outing. They also have rafting expeditions through the canyon. Hanging Lake in Glenwood Canyon has always been my top pick for hikes although it is a "hike" UP hill!! All of Vail & Beaver Creek mountains are laced with terrific hiking trails and some, you can take the chairlift UP and hike DOWN for getting used to the altitude! www.snow.com has trail maps.

Beaver Creek has mini golf, a climbing wall & bungie trampoline for the boys as well as ice skating in the evenings.

Swimming: Avon rec center has an indoor pool with water slide.

Try a jeep tour into the back country for wildlife viewing & scenery. Piney Lake, North of Vail has fishing & horseback riding.

Too much to do> too little time!!!

ENJOY!!

P.S. Today it is 85> no humidity, no bugs> so nothing like 85 in Illinois!!! We are at 8000 feet above sea level so the sun is intense! Wear sunscreen. By this eve we will be in the high 40's. Bring layers that are easy to carry with you.

Bartonville, IL
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stupid question but still need an answer

Thank you all for the information. I can't wait to get there!

Acton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,585 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stupid question but still need an answer

While July can be hot up in the mountains can get cool, and really cool at night. I love the Glenwood springs pool, it's beautiful there.

6. Re: stupid question but still need an answer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 06:25