We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving around Vail/Aspen

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving around Vail/Aspen

Hi everyone,

My and my girlfriend are thinking of coming to the Vail and Aspen areas on Christmas week. We wanted to fly into Denver, rent a car and then try out the different mountains splitting our time between Vail and Aspen. Lodging doesn't have to be fancy since we'll be spending most of our time on the slopes and we were hoping to get hotels outside of the main city centers and then just drive to where we need to go.

Is this possible or is parking and traffic going to kill us?

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving around Vail/Aspen

It's possible - but keep in mind that Vail and Aspen are about two hours away from each other. If you really want to ski both Vail & Aspen (and Snowmass, and Beaver Creek), experience both resorts, fancy lodging is not important, and you don't mind driving.......consider staying in Glenwood Springs.

Glenwood is about 45 minutes to Vail (a bit less to Beaver Creek) and 45 minutes to Snowmass (a bit more to Aspen). It will be a lot of driving, but you'll save a LOT of money on lodging.

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving around Vail/Aspen

It's not a question of price or style but availablilty. You are coming at the most in-demand time which literally books up YEARS in advance, so finding ANY lodging will be your challenge. Glenwood is an excellent middle-point but you are going to be doing alot of driving. Parking in both resort areas is a pain (and expensive!) that week. I would suggest trying just one of the resort areas and returning again to try the other another time. There are plenty of runs at either area to keep you amused and you are coming to SKI (or board!) not drive!!Just seems like your itinerary will cause you more stress & frustration than enjoyment.

I am not familiar with Aspen's mass transit system, but the Vail area has a great one. Take the bus and avoid the parking hassles!!

Try lodging in Eagle, it'll be cheaper. There is a park & ride there. The ECO bus runs every half hour and takes you to Vail Village for $3 . Or try getting Lodging at The Roost Lodge (cheapest lodging near Vail mountain) in West Vail on the free bus to the slopes.

Good luck!

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
465 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving around Vail/Aspen

I agree with prior posts---pick one resort. Your original plan might work fine in mid-January, but virtually every lodging has a minimum stay requirement over the holidays. In Vail, you can visit both Vail and Beaver Creek; in Aspen, you have Aspen, Aspen Highlands and Snowmass.

4. Re: Driving around Vail/Aspen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 02:18