We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
729 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips

Can you suggest day trips within an hour or two from Vail? We intend to visit Glenwood Springs to raft and bike but would like additional options to sightsee and hike, etc. Our groups consists of 2 adults and a 7 and 11 yr old.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips

An interesting town in Leadville. It was an early day silver mining town and the highest elevation of any incorporated town in North America. There is a 2 1/2 hr. train ride that even lets the kids take a tour of the engine and caboose. Check out their website at http://www.leadville-train.com. Another great plus is that Leadville is always nice and cool in the summer and has some mountains around it. Another fun place is the Leadville National Fish Hatchery - it has a one mile nature trail.

Manitou Springs...
Level Contributor
224 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips

In Glenwood Springs check out the Adventure Park. About 6 miles east of Glenwood Springs is Hanging Lake. An agressive mile to the Lake, (bring water & camera), but if you are in fairly decent shape, it's well worth the trip. Aspen is only 12 miles from Glenwood Springs.

Manitou Springs...
Level Contributor
224 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips

Whoops! Aspen is not 12 miles from Glenwood Springs but 12 from Carbondale (hwy 84), in which Carbondale is about 10 miles from Aspen. Sorry 'bout that!

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
892 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips

Aspen is 2 hours, Breckenridge is 45 minutes - both are old mining towns and are now ski resorts. I believe Breck has an alpine slide. The Glenwood Adventure Caverns are a great suggestion and of course the hot springs pool is a hit with the kids. Also consider driving Independence Pass (makes a long day but is a great beautiful drive).

Manitou Springs...
Level Contributor
224 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips

I just read on another post from a Breckenridge visitor that was just got back from there that the Alpine Slide and Zipline (I didn't know there was a zipline) are closed for the summer due to repairs. That's a bummer. I had planned to do the Alpine next week with some friends coming in from out of town.

6. Re: Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 15:29