We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions on East/West Vail condos? Car rental?

Which Vail hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions on East/West Vail condos? Car rental?

Anybody with opinions/experiences at Timberfalls in East Vail or the Lodges at Timber Creek in West Vail? I can't seem to find much information about them aside from vital stats and promo blurbs. We're also looking at Pitkin Creek Condos, Vail Racquet Club, and Eagle Point Resort.

We'd be a small group of 3 coming in January/February. Value and accessibility/convenience (relatively speaking, since we're likely not going to be staying in Vail Village) are more important than luxury, but we'd be willing to spend a little more to avoid ending up in a dump.

Also, if we wanted to rent a car for transport to/from Eagle airport, is there any particular need for a SUV vs. a sedan?

Vail,CO
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions on East/West Vail condos? Car rental?

Out of the two first mentioned, I'd pick Lodges at Timber Creek. Timberfalls is older and some units have lots of stairs. Out of the next three you mentionbed, I'd pick the Racquet Club. It has great amenities & is close to the free bus.

Have you also tried vrbo.com? There are some great deals on there sometimes.

Car rental will depend on how much "stuff" you are bringing. If you are renting your skis & boots here you'll probably be able to get by with a sedan. You'll need a larger vehicle if all 3 of you come fully loaded.

Our transportation system here is fantastic & most routes free, so you'll find the rental car will probably just sit... the cost to park in the Village is crazy> take the bus! There are also vans from the airport to your condo if you want to skip the rental car altogether! Price it out.

Go Badgers!!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
1,012 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions on East/West Vail condos? Car rental?

As far as winter driving goes any front wheel drive will be fine from Eagle. It's an easy drive. If you have skis you will need a ski rack which is usually overpriced. We often end with a mini van or cross over vehicle which has the same space inside as an SUV so we don't need the rack. We are a family of 3 also. I would recommend checking www.vrbo.com for condo rentals and the Sandstone area is probably second in convenience to actually staying intown. The city buses run every 15 minutes or so and drop you off at the Transportation Center in Vail. From there you can take an intown shuttle to Golden Peak and it drops you off at the lift. This whole process adds about 20 - 30 minutes each way to your travel time. We did it from Sandstone a few years and it saved a lot of money. We finally did decide to bite the bullet and pay the big bucks to stay intown for the convenience. Sandstone is just across the freeway from the slopes. Often you can see the slopes from your accomodations. It's close to West Vail for restaurants and grocery stores. I would recommend it if you want to be close and save some money.

3. Re: Opinions on East/West Vail condos? Car rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 00:18